Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pondering cranking my TB's another inch, however not wanting the related problems it got me thinking about my first 4x4, it was an 82 Dodge D50 Double A ARM IFS with torsion bars as well. I cranked it quite a bit back then to fit 31's. The reason the axle shafts survived as long as they did was the locking hubs. Uncoupling the front shafts from the tires allowed them to not spin 90% of the time.
A dreamer mod for sure, taking a 6 lug IFS knuckle(Toy's,Mitsu's) and grafting it onto the 355 A Arms with a hybrid shaft(innner 355/outer donor)
would give such a benefit. Additionally this would be great when a front locker is added.
Expensive... possibly but when I was a hardcore Jeep guy, some of the strongest and best mods were sourced from the wrecker.
Anythoughts, or am I out there on this one.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I am getting old, but due to being in the Army I have had to move province to province many times. Convincing insurance companies to insure cut up and modded trucks is getting to be a pain. Sold my beloved 86 CJ on this move due to that fact. Call an insurance company on this side of the border and say you got a 6 inch lift, 37 inch ties,Small Bock Chevy,Dana 60's and see what they will do for you. I have had a spotless driving record for 25 years and had the Jeep 13 years and 3 potential insurers wouldn't touch me. I am kind of leaning to "stealth mods" these days. But who knows a narrow track 44 from an early Wagoneer would be bitchin.

·
Registered
253 Posts
hell yea it would, i see what you mean about gettn insured, back in the day they didnt want pictures of your vehicle at time of the policy being opend either so it makes it harder! have you looked in those custom vehicle insurance places? but they most likely cost more

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Maybe I am getting old, but due to being in the Army I have had to move province to province many times. Convincing insurance companies to insure cut up and modded trucks is getting to be a pain. Sold my beloved 86 CJ on this move due to that fact. Call an insurance company on this side of the border and say you got a 6 inch lift, 37 inch ties,Small Bock Chevy,Dana 60's and see what they will do for you. I have had a spotless driving record for 25 years and had the Jeep 13 years and 3 potential insurers wouldn't touch me. I am kind of leaning to "stealth mods" these days. But who knows a narrow track 44 from an early Wagoneer would be bitchin.
The only thing I can think of when I read your last two posts are...holy shit

this guy is going to make a bitchin rado for the dirt. I cant wait to see what

you come up with. It looks like custom work isnt a new found hobby! :D

Keep us posted if you start up any new projects on this rado!!:naughty:

·
Registered
253 Posts
hey fmrjpr have you checked out the thread called- Needing ideas for my truck's future ? there is two collys with front axle swaps

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seen that one before, Although I appreciate the work and effort into it. It is a cop magnet for sure. Wouldn't be much of a paint job left after a season of driving in the sand and salt they dump on the roads around here.
Stealth mods, I am kind of diggin that not knowing its modded until you pull up by a stocker.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually If you ever see the shafts Tuffv Country uses for the full size Chevy they are cut and splined for additional travel. Do the same thing for a hybrid Toy/355 shaft it would work, now to go measure some knuckle at the boneyard on of these days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts