Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working on a couple designs for the Slick & Dirty Motorsports Long Travel Kit but need the opinion of the community. Below are the 2 options:

Option 1: Chase Kit
- Upper Control Arm: 1.5” DOM .120 wall, 1 inch Uniball and 3/4 Heims (Option to upgrade to Fully welded and boxed 3/16 Plate)
- Lower Control Arm: Fully welded and boxed 3/16 Plate, Polyurethane bushings, OEM or Moog® lower ball joints
- Can be run with OEM Spindle or 3” Fabtech®/Ebay Spindle or 5” CST® Spindle
Chase kit will be about 3.5 to 4 inches wider per side and will probably cycle around 13-14 inches of wheel travel (strapped and bumped). Considerably Economical as an entry level type of Long Travel kit. Only downfall is the limiting factor of the OEM or Moog® lower ball joints. 100% Bolt on.

Option 2: Race Kit
- Upper Control Arm: 1.5” DOM .120 wall, Boxed upper pivot for 1 inch Uniball and 7/8 Heims (Option to upgrade to Fully welded and boxed 3/16 Plate)
- Lower Control Arm: Fully welded and boxed 3/16 plate, Polyurethane bushings, 1.5” Uniball
- Spindle: Fully welded 3/16 Plate, Upper Uniball in vertical position
Race kit will be about 4.5 inches wider per side and will probably cycle around 16+ inches of wheel travel (strapped and bumped). Cost will be higher due to a fully fabricated spindle. Only limiting factor will be the total length of shock that will be used in conjunction with the kit. Will be able to fit a 2.5” Coilover and 3” Springs. 100% Bolt on.

Your opinions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, both positive and negative are welcome.

We are also looking into upgrading the fabricated spindle to run Dana 44 hubs but will be sometime later in the future. Right now we just want to get started on one of the kits but will eventually have both of them available in the future as well.

P.S.
This is will only be available for Z85, 2wd coil suspension trucks. Sorry Z71 and Torsion bar people =(

Thank you,

Slick & Dirty Motorsports

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:p eagerly waiting for more info on this... You're such a tease Kevin

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Lol, J.W., I'll have more info soon (pricing, turn around time, etc). Just wanted to get the initial word out and see which direction we are gonna go as far as Chase or Race kit, stock or fabricated spindle

·
Registered
664 Posts
lets see some cad photos kevin. Quit holding out hahaha

and i know you said pricing will be available later but you got a ballpark? like would race kit be comparable to allied kit? chase be comparable to brenthal?

also, what size coil do these kits run? planning on running stock coil bucket or shock towers?

Also for the money that one of these kits would cost I would seriously look into offering the d44 hub design from the get go. Everyones got their own opinions but ive had really bad luck with the stock hubs on these trucks (mainly the bearings going out with bigger tires) and I know if I was paying that much money for a kit I would want to eliminate those and replace with something much stronger. Just personal opinion though.

If you need a test dummy let me know hahaha

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Both kits will be able to run up to a 2.5" Shock with a 3" Coil. Both can use the stock coil buckets, but people who want to run longer shocks and get more wheel travel will have to go with a fabricated shock tower. Which will require cutting out the stock bucket and reinforcing the upper arm pivots.

We are definitely looking into doing the Dana 44 hubs to replace our OEM's. But it all boils down cost and weather it will be affordable for the end customer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i need to rob a bank or something....i want the kit so bad!! lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
thats dangerous information for my finances lol maybe after tax season...definately gonna do my best to get a Stage 3

·
Registered
65 Posts
Probably a stupid question but I guess I gotta find out somehow, would the lit work with a 3 inch spindle and 2 inch spring spacers?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably a stupid question but I guess I gotta find out somehow, would the lit work with a 3 inch spindle and 2 inch spring spacers?
I dont see why not, but you wont be able to get alot of travel with the stock struts. You would eventually have to run a longer shock and coil to use the full potential of the LT kit, granted its the "Chase" kit which allows the use of OEM lower ball joints and the 3 inch lift spindle.

·
Registered
391 Posts
no 2WD z71 torsion delete?

you know there would be a line of guys that would want that set-up.

i say if you have to already cut parts off the frame and move some things around you might as well replace some of the garbage parts that we were given from the factory. it will increase initial cost, but will save you in the long run if you intend to keep your truck.

dana 44 spindle is my vote.

race kit is the best option performance wise. however, sales might not be too good for the folks back east. salted roads tend to destroy heim joints.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Also for the money that one of these kits would cost I would seriously look into offering the d44 hub design from the get go. Everyones got their own opinions but ive had really bad luck with the stock hubs on these trucks (mainly the bearings going out with bigger tires)
^^This
no 2WD z71 torsion delete?

you know there would be a line of guys that would want that set-up.

i say if you have to already cut parts off the frame and move some things around you might as well replace some of the garbage parts that we were given from the factory. it will increase initial cost, but will save you in the long run if you intend to keep your truck.

dana 44 spindle is my vote.

race kit is the best option performance wise. however, sales might not be too good for the folks back east. salted roads tend to destroy heim joints.
And this too ^^

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, been a while since I last logged on. Just waiting for Snout Blocks to come in so we can finish the Spindle. I'll try to keep you guys posted from here on.

Thanks,

Kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts