Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I have been lurking around the forum for a bit now doing some research. I am currently deployed but when I get back I plan on buying a Colorado/Canyon for daily driving purposes. I have a 2006 2500 Silverado truck that is mostly used for towing/farm work. I try to go motocross riding most weekends I can and I am looking at buying a daily driver pick-up. The 2500 uses wayyy too much gas, I think it gets 13-14 mpg.

Doing some research, I was looking at some mid sized trucks and looks to be that the 4 cyl Colorado/Canyon gets the best MPG. What ever truck I get has to be an extended cab 2wd. I need the bed space for the bikes, and have no need for a 4wd. I have some questions I hope you all can answer.

I am really leaning toward the 4cyl-5spd. It seems to be the best MPG option. I refuse to get an auto 4cyl. I did for my last DD car and the MPG wasn't nearly as good as the 5-spd version of the same car/same year my wife had. Plus the 4 cyl usually do better with the manual trans. That being said, how much worse mpg wise is the 5 cyl with auto? I know the 5 cyl has a lot more power and would be nice to have, but how much do I give up on the MPG?

What is the MPG that you guys are getting with the 4cyl 5spd? This will also be my daily driver an curious about around town and hwy.

How anemic is the 4 cyl with say 500-600 lbs in the bed? I have heard its best to find a 4-cyl with the 3.73 gears. How would I know if the truck has 3.73s during a normal inspection of the truck? Do they normally come with a limited slip differential?

Can I shut the tailgate with the bike straight in the bed on an ext cab? I heard the Colorado has a half closed option that is appealing.

If you think that I would be happier with the 5 cyl/auto I would definatley consider it. Anyone else an offroad/motorcross guy that can chime in with your opinions? I was looking at the Nissan Frontier and also the Toyota Tacoma, but so far I am leaning toward the Colorado/Canyon/Isuzu i-series trucks.

I would also put on basic mods and send the PCM out to Limeswap for a tune for better driveabilty and better MPG. I have my eye on a 2009 4cyl, 5 spd ext cab right now.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't plan on lifting or lowering the truck. Stock ride is fine with me. I was just looking to hear from others who own 4 bangers or those who have experience with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an 07 reg. cab canyon with a 2.9 and I loved it got an upwards of 22-24 mpg with a few mods. I'd give up my Xtreme in a heartbeat for it back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Was this with a 5 spd 2wd?

Is there any real differences between a Isuzu, Canyon or Colorado? Most if the Isuzu trucks I have seen have been base model trucks with crank windows, manual locks ect.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I have a 2.8 4 banger with a 5 speed and 3:73 gears... Have not had my Suzuki DR 650 in it yet... I would guess the tail gate would not close... The 2.8 pulls really strong !! Oh yeah...It's a 4X4....LOL

·
Registered
257 Posts
I got a 2.9. If you live in a hilly terrain I'd highly suggest the 5 cyl. Worth the extra hp for a slightly lower mpg that you can get back with a few mods. Also would be better for hauling anything

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
My dad's 05 2.8 5speed reg cab gets like 24mpg hwy with my 700 raptor.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I bought my Colorado for the same reasons. I needed something that got good mileage and could haul my CRF.

You're on the right track with the engine/transmission and the tune.

Mine is a 2007 regular cab 4cyl/5sp with 3.73 gears and it gets 29mpg at 65mph after opening up the intake and exhaust and getting a good tune. Lime-Swap will take good care of you.

The tailgate will not shut all the way with the bike straight. The "half closed" position works really well, however.

That truck will haul 5-600 lbs no problem. A good exhaust and a tune help out a lot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've been driving a 4cyl 5spd since 06. My first one was a 2.8 with 3.42's and my 2011 has the 2.9 with 3.73's and it's way better. I race motocross and take 2 and sometimes 3 bikes with all my gear, pressure washer, and 30 gallons of water in a 4x8 utility trailer and it's no problem. I sometimes have to gear down for hills but I shift hundreds of times on a race day so a few downshifts on the way home is not a big deal. You can fit 2 bikes in the back, but can't close the tailgate on a modern mx bike, but the half closed position works perfect. When I had my kdx 220 it would close all the way, but they're a little shorter. Header helps a lot, and the later ones have 2 timing maps so running premium actually makes a very noticeable difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies guys, that's the information I was looking for. I thought the half cocked tailgate would work. I will probably buy a Bed Buddy to help with mounting options.

When you did the Limeswap tune, did you notice a nice boost in power, driveability and gas mileage? Have any before/after numbers?

What mods do you do to open the intake and exhaust for better mileage? Just a cold air intake and muffler? Full exhaust and header? Ported throttle body? Which ones work for the 2.9?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, that's the information I was looking for. I thought the half cocked tailgate would work. I will probably buy a Bed Buddy to help with mounting options.

When you did the Limeswap tune, did you notice a nice boost in power, driveability and gas mileage? Have any before/after numbers?

What mods do you do to open the intake and exhaust for better mileage? Just a cold air intake and muffler? Full exhaust and header? Ported throttle body? Which ones work for the 2.9?
My story is a bit unique, but it might give you an idea of what to expect from these mods. Here's the condensed version:

Stock: 23 mpg (I was really unhappy)
Add Long Tube Header and 3" exhaust (no cats): 25.5 mpg
Add PCMs For Less Tune: 25 mpg (power got better, mileage got worse)
Add Limeswap tune: 28.8 mpg (good power AND mileage:))

I had a discussion with Lime-Swap before I got my tune. I told him how I wasn't getting the mileage I expected from this truck and also my driving habits (low rpm, lots of throttle). He made some specific tweaks and it really helped. My airbox was stock (with snorkel removed) during all these mods.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't think anyone answered this but you can find out what gears it has by looking at the sticker in the glove box. I don't remember which codes are which but hopefully someone else will chime in on this. You could maybe find them with a site search as well. If not when I go out to my truck later I can tell you what the one or 3.73 is.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a CC 3.7 L '09 auto tranny, 3.73 rear & haul a 600 lb. VMax in the bed, straight, w/the tailgate down. I use a 2" X 2" T-bracket coming out of my receiver hitch to support the lip of the down-tailgate w/the rear wheel of the bike on the tailgate. The tailgate is only rated @ 200 lb. so the bracket transfers the weight to the hitch & bracket. I have been getting 17-18 mpg in mixed use & 21 mpg cruising @ 70 w/the a-c on, & a high of 23.5 @ a steady 60 mph. Bought it new, just hit 48K mi.

GS3 is a 3.73 axle, G80 is the limited slip code. http://www.sierragear.com/gm-rpo-axle-ratio-identification-codes-3/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks more and more like these are the way to go. Definatley will look for the 3.73's. Hopefully a limited slip, if not I can add a diff later.

LLV, Wow 28MPG? That's just a tune, and exhaust?

MotoXBB88, have any pics of your ext cab with a bike in the back?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts