Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I noticed smoke from my front driver side tire. Looked like the caliper was stuck. So I replaced the pads and caliper now the brake pedal goes all the way the floor unless pumped up (it did not have this problem before). I bleed all the brakes from rear to front. The booster seems to have vacuum. I do hear a sort of hissing when pressing the brake. No leaks that I can see. Please provide any starting points or tips. Thank you!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did you remember to top off the brake fluid and replace the cap ? I hope your not one of those guys that don't crack open bleeder screws before compressing calipers. The ABS system hates old nasty brake fluid forced back into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you remember to top off the brake fluid and replace the cap ? I hope your not one of those guys that don't crack open bleeder screws before compressing calipers. The ABS system hates old nasty brake fluid forced back into it.
Do you think putting new brake fluid in would help fix this?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do you think putting new brake fluid in would help fix this?
Nope. I would try to bleed the brakes , all of them , again. Check that the new caliper is the same as the old one , maybe boxed wrong , or installed upside down , possible in some instances , that would put the bleeder screw on the bottom instead of the top . In that case you will never get the air out that caliper , ask me how I know. I find in cases like this it's something you miss or forget to do. Retrace your steps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. I would try to bleed the brakes , all of them , again. Check that the new caliper is the same as the old one , maybe boxed wrong , or installed upside down , possible in some instances , that would put the bleeder screw on the bottom instead of the top . In that case you will never get the air out that caliper , ask me how I know. I find in cases like this it's something you miss or forget to do. Retrace your steps.
Ok so you bring up a good point. AutoZone gave me the passenger side but I asked for driver side. I installed it but didn't realize it until I took it for a drive already. 🤦🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to my world , Ha Ha. Bet you don't install another part on your vehicle without double checking .

·
Registered
275 Posts
Absolutely ! Not sure what skill level you have so don't take offense but it may be wise to watch how it is done . A guy on YouTube , Chris Fix , has an easy to follow procedure on how to bleed brakes by yourself if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely ! Not sure what skill level you have so don't take offense but it may be wise to watch how it is done . A guy on YouTube , Chris Fix , has an easy to follow procedure on how to bleed brakes by yourself if needed.
Thank you for your help sir. Brakes are all good now. Just had air in the passenger rear.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great job Jztwentythree !!!!! It's always appreciated when people like you post back resolutions to solved problems . That helps to make this forum better .(y)

·
Registered
64 Posts
a motive power bleeder is a good lifetime investment for fool proof one person bleeding + with proper attachments can do various vehicle brands

1 - 14 of 14 Posts