Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our chevy suburban (1500 with the 5.3L v8) is leaking coolant badly. I would say 12-16oz over night, and this saturday we will be driving it down to florid (we live in Indiana) which is a purdy good drive. so I was wondering if anybody out there happens to know if this is a common problem, and how to fix? or if anybody has some ideas on what, or where exactly to check, the help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You are not giving a lot to go on here.

Most water pumps have a built in "weep hole" under the pulley. They intentionally leak out of this hole when the bearings and seals fail in the pump. Sort of an early warning system. That would be a good first thing to inspect.

After that, most anything can leak if damaged.

If you cannot see the source of the leak because it is all over, try cleaning up the engine compartment as best you can.

They also make UV dies you can add to a fluid to determine leak location.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I didn’t see where you mentioned the year model of your Suburban, which can have an effect on where typical issues may arise. Seeping coolant used to reasonably common place, but for the most part has been rectified over the last decade. The water-pump gaskets on the earlier Gen III’s had a tendency to deteriorate over time and give up the ghost. The steam vents also used to use independent gaskets at the attachment points to the heads that would eventually fail. Somewhere around ‘04 GM changed the material for the sealing of the water-pump gaskets and all replacements currently available should be the newer versions. The steam vents no longer use the little gaskets and instead use an o-ring type system. While the steam vents are located at all 4 corners of the engine, all but the earlier Gen III’s have block-off’s installed on the rear of the heads and no longer use the steam pipe connected to all 4 corners. That being said, you’re going to need to do a little investigation as to where the coolant is coming from and venture out from there.

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
489 Posts
Our chevy suburban (1500 with the 5.3L v8) is leaking coolant badly. I would say 12-16oz over night, and this saturday we will be driving it down to florid (we live in Indiana) which is a purdy good drive.
I wouldn't make this drive with that leak. There's a good chance a small leak now will turn into a huge one on the way, resulting in you getting stranded.

Like others have said, you've not given us a lot to go on, but check the normal stuff. The weep hole on the water pump is a good guess, if that's where it's leaking, you need a new water pump. Also check the hoses and fittings, one may have a pinhole in it. Really, there's a lot of places you can leak coolant from.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sry for the lack of updates, we changed the water pump yesterday, and will find out when i get home if that fixed it, will update again later on

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: the water pump change seems to have fixed it, now we are waiting for stuff to fix the gage cluster because it always reads 6k rpm, and 120 mph

1 - 10 of 10 Posts