Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do a v8 swap this summer, or further down the road. I would like to do some other stuff first to get my truck ready before hand thoe, and that is why I am looking for some help from those who have done it. I am thinking I will need to:
  • lower gear ratio in the rear diff.
  • new beefier drive line?
  • anything i should do to the transmission?
I currently have an 04 3.5 that is 2wd. thanks for the help!!!also if anybody knows where to get the stuff I'm going to need that would help as well.

·
PBR TIME
625 Posts
i did my 04 two wheel drive. i put in a carmero 5.7. i got a lot of parts from a junk yard.they are all kind of write ups on here. just seach for swap v8 . good luck.:drinking28:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am looking to do a v8 swap this summer, or further down the road. I would like to do some other stuff first to get my truck ready before hand thoe, and that is why I am looking for some help from those who have done it. I am thinking I will need to:
  • lower gear ratio in the rear diff.
  • new beefier drive line?
  • anything i should do to the transmission?
I currently have an 04 3.5 that is 2wd. thanks for the help!!!also if anybody knows where to get the stuff I'm going to need that would help as well.
It all depends on what your Torque and horsepower goals are. Is it a street or race?
That decision will determine if you need a beefier driveline.
Junkyards and swap meets are a great place to start for parts!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, it's gonna be a street daily driver, mainly wanting to know as of now if I'm going to need a new tranny drive line and rear axel

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
637 Posts
Don't have any answers for the question but maybe a question the OP would like the answer to as well. I too will be doing a swap down the road and my question would what engine would best to swap in as far a reliability? Like if I wanted to get a motor and put it on a stand and build it up over time and then drop it what would be my best option? And as for goals it would be a daily driver so something that can be made as close to factory as possible coming from a 06 2.8L 5 Speed. Thanks and sorry if the OP doesn't want this info then I guess maybe PM me if you have any suggestions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
868 Posts
The LS series of engines are quite possibly some of the best engines ever built and the choice is how much power you want and of course how much you want to spend.Compared to other engines horsepower and reliability are very very reasonable.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That Camero is going to be really hard to find,but any 5.3 truck engine is easily capable of those figures!
so should they be able to hook up to my stock tranny?? or do i need to be looking for a new one of those as well??

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
a truck engine will give you the right front pulley setup for the swap

·
Registered
68 Posts
+1 on the truck engine due to ease of swap having the right accy. setup
also i seen a regular cab z85 this weekend with lq4 swap and 150 shot put down 508 rwhp on stock rearend with TRUTRAC locker! think i may try this instead of building a shortened 8.6
cheaper to replace gears and diff than shorten an 8.6. unless the g80 axles will fit in the 8.6 diff. , and there are no coly\h3 8.6's available near me for less than firstborn child!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts