Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't see a section for steering so thought I would try to post here. Like the tile say I have an intermittent loss of power steering. It happened last night on the highway. When I slowed to just above parking lot speeds it came back. At speeds in between it comes & goes with variable amounts of assist. I checked fluid, ok, belt is good & definitely not slipping, , no noise from the pump.
So .... I am thinking a problem with the pump or maybe the control valve in the steering rack. I am thinking this is going to be difficult to find as it does work well at a stop or low speeds. Tonight I am going to check everything a little further. I will jack up the front & check the steering linkage just to be sure there is no binding, check for good flow through the pump and possibly drain some fluid to inspect. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem? I don't think our trucks have speed sensitive power assist but can't find anything to say yes or no? Thanks for any input :)

T

·
0 Posts
Jack up the front till tyres dont touch the ground, start the engine and turn the steering wheel full left then full right, that will eliminate air in the system if any. Then lower the front and try the steering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I jacked it up tonight & checked the steering, nothing binding. Started then engine & turned the wheel, no problems. I can rev the engine to highway rpm but the problem isn't there, so I have to be driving to loose assist. The fluid looks relatively clean. The thing is .... I didn't do any work around the power steering at all before the problem appeared. I can understand a pump failure, a little unusual, but it happens. It's just that I have never has a pump fail in this way. I hate to throw parts at it but I can get a used pump very reasonably so I may go that route. If that doesn't work then it looks like the rack ... which wouldn't be funny at all :ugh:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
I'm willing to bet his Power Steering pump needed to be replaced. @Buckeye Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did find my problem. I could find no fault with the power steering system, rack or steering linkage so I figured it had to be the joint in the steering shaft that was seizing. I checked if I could remove the lower steering shaft easily but it looked like I might have to drop or remove the upper steering column.
So, I sprayed copious amount of penetrating fluid & then lubricant (red rust-check) while turning the steering wheel until my arms got tired. I figured the steering joint had a cup or two seizing up, similar to a seized u-joint in the driveshaft. After doing this I never had the stiff steering return so I am calling it fixed for now. To fix it properly the shaft should be removed & sent out to be machined & a new u-joint fit. I am sure you wouldn't be able to buy the same u-joint but there are many shops who machine fit u-joints. In my case the u-joint had no play or looseness so it was worth a try to free it up. I have spoken to a few technicians who mentioned they have seen this problem with Toyota Tacoma's and a few other models. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
441 Posts
good information here. my steering gets stiff when the engine gets hot. as many mods as I have done maybe I need to check the column and intermediate shaft as well as the pressure control spring in the pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts