Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been having an issue recently where my truck makes a loud rattling noise that sounds almost like a grinding noise from the rear after I start it up. It usually lasts only a few seconds, and doesn't always occur. Sometimes I also hear it for a sec when I initially accelerate lightly just after starting the truck. Any ideas what this could be? I was thinking maybe the exhaust is hitting something?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I personally can't think of anything that would grind in the rear when the vehicle is stationary.

Exhaust could rattle, but that is easy to find....just look at the pipe to see if it has and recent wear marks.

A rattle maybe....exhaust heat shield. Pretty common.

Otherwise, in my definition of grinding, it is a result of rotating parts (while vehicle is stationary).

To help determine where the sound is coming from....reach through the window to start then immediately get under the vehicle. Or find a volunteer to start vehicle for you (if possible).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally can't think of anything that would grind in the rear when the vehicle is stationary.

Exhaust could rattle, but that is easy to find....just look at the pipe to see if it has and recent wear marks.

A rattle maybe....exhaust heat shield. Pretty common.

Otherwise, in my definition of grinding, it is a result of rotating parts (while vehicle is stationary).

To help determine where the sound is coming from....reach through the window to start then immediately get under the vehicle. Or find a volunteer to start vehicle for you (if possible).
Yea, I don't think it's actually a grinding just a loud vibration of metal on metal making a noise similar to a grinding. It's definitely coming from the passenger side, so I'm thinking exhaust or heat shield. I'll see if I can borrow someone later when the truck has cooled down and check things out. Thanks for the advice, hopefully I find the source of this noise, because damn is it loud.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Check the heat shield first. Wiggle it (when it is cold) to see if it has play. If you find any movement at all, try to wedge something in it then start it up to see if the sound is reduced/gone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm pretty sure it was/is an exhaust rattle, but oddly enough the problem went away and hasn't come back in the last 48 hours. I'll have to wait until it comes back to resume troubleshooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts