Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a 2009 3.7L that just started having issues. I was driving on the highway and lost power - it was hardly responding to the throttle and slowed down to like 40mph. The CEL and stability control lights came on and the ODO flashed something like "traction control failure - low power mode". I got it off the highway but it was barely chugging along, probably hit 20mph max, slower going uphill. It was bucking in drive as I hit the brakes and put it in park.

I shut it off briefly (30 sec) and turned back on, still acting funny. I shut it off for longer (5 min), came back out and read CELs P0068 and P0101. I started it again and it would run fine until I tried to go highway speed - it's like it couldn't rev high enough to shift into 4th gear and then went into low power mode again. I turned off and back on again after a decent wait and it was fine on the backroads - low power mode was off.

After that drive I parked it for longer (9hrs) and started it up and it was running/idling really rough and wouldn't go over 10mph. Now it was throwing P0068 P0101 and P0300. I changed the MAF sensor and disconnected the battery to reset and it still runs the same (crappy) but the only code so far is P0300. I have checked air filter and for any obvious cracked hoses or vacuum leaks. My Torque app shows throttle % going up when I hit the pedal so I think the throttle position sensor is OK. I also have a pending code P0411.

Any ideas? Anyone else had these codes? How did you fix it? Thanks for any help.

P0068 - There is a difference between the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP), Mass Air Flow (MAF), and Throttle position sensor (TPS) voltage values.
P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit/Performance Malfunction
P0300 - Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected.
P0411 (PENDING) - Secondary Air Injection Incorrect Flow Detected

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it ended up being a plugged up catalytic converter. It was the one on the Pacesetter manifold that I installed less than 3 years ago. Stay away from Pacesetter.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Do what everyone else here has done and disconnect the manifold at the flange, take out the oxygen sensor and use a long drill bit, a piece of rebar or anything long and thin and beat all the insides out of that pre-cat. Use the O2 sensor hole to push all the stuff out of it from the top. Make sure you get everything out and then hook it back up. There will be no CEL and you'll probably have a small performance increase. Mine is an '04, but I'm pretty sure that all the first generation are the same as far as this "Pre-Cat" goes. Exhaust will sound a little funny, but you'll get used to that pretty quick. I "gutted" mine about 3 years ago and it's doing great with no CEL ever coming on as a result of this. It's the cheapest performance mod you'll find. Some have advised taking the manifold off to make it easier to make sure you get all the stuff out of it, and since your manifold has only been on for 3 years, that might work well for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts