Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 drop in back and need to level out the front. Can i loosen torsion bars to do this? Will i need to realign my truck after?

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I have a 3 drop in back and need to level out the front. Can i loosen torsion bars to do this? Will i need to realign my truck after?
yes, this is a great way to level things out up front, and YES, you will need an alignment afterwards. post up some pics after you get it done!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive called a few alignment shops, they are telling me they cant do that kind of alignment? because its lowered??? what do i need to tell them, i said i lowered torsion bars and they say they cant?

·
Registered
757 Posts
hey i put on the 3 inch control arms and my alignment was way out of wack it is just a normal alignment but it might be different with torsion than control arms

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I didn't know 2WD's had torsion bars too? Thought only 4WD had them..:shrug:
2wd Z71's have them.

The breakdown is like this:
2wd Non-Z71 = coil-over shock front suspension
All 4wd's = torsion bar front suspension
All Z71's = torsion bar suspension

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
ive called a few alignment shops, they are telling me they cant do that kind of alignment? because its lowered??? what do i need to tell them, i said i lowered torsion bars and they say they cant?
they're full of shit. you need to find a specialty alignment shop, like i did, to get the truck aligned. call the shops back and tell them that it's lifted and see if their response is the same.

then pose a question like this: "so i need to remove the lift kit on my truck (for some reason) and i'll need to get it aligned again. it was lifted just with the torsion bars in the front." this will prove that they're full of shit and you need to find another shop. i know my example wasn't the best, but you get the idea.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
The only reason I can think of that they would say they can't do it because if it's way out and takes a couple hours they won't really be making any money on it. :shrug:

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,420 Posts
torsion bars?

Truck is 2wd isnt it?

You get it lowered and need someone to line it up PM me..

·
Registered
123 Posts
2wd Z71's have them.

The breakdown is like this:
2wd Non-Z71 = coil-over shock front suspension
All 4wd's = torsion bar front suspension
All Z71's = torsion bar suspension
woah, i have a z85 canyon and its a 2wd and has torsion bars up front. how can i drop it 3" up front?

·
Registered
123 Posts
but i believe mine does, unless its the z71. im not sure at all. im only 17 and my uncle bought it for me used for my first truck and thats what he said it was. he told me it was the z85 2wd has torsion bars and the offroad package on it so im really not sure. i just wanna know how i can drop it 3" up front and be able to fit the 20" american racing rt-s wheels without rubbing on my truck.

suggestions/help??

·
Registered
437 Posts
k first off lets do some research i wil lforgive your insolence because of age. but if you have the z71 pacakge you will have no prob fitting rt-s's ( god awful rim) no matter what you do and second figure out what your truck actually is before posting shit. find your VIN number in your glove box call a dealership and ask them to tell you what your trim is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
k first off lets do some research i wil lforgive your insolence because of age. but if you have the z71 pacakge you will have no prob fitting rt-s's ( god awful rim) no matter what you do and second figure out what your truck actually is before posting shit. find your VIN number in your glove box call a dealership and ask them to tell you what your trim is.
i looked in the glove box and looked at the codes and i believe its the z71 with the offroad package. now can i just crank the torsion out of the torsion bars to give it a 2" drop and have no problems?

·
Registered
437 Posts
please stick in one thread or the other

·
Registered
123 Posts
sorry, its been a long day and shit. i dont want to sound like a dick, just wondering what the answer to my question is. can i get a 2" drop by cranking out torsion without having problems down the road? like i said, sorry if i sound like a dick, i just really need help

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Locked the other thread to keep from bouncing back and forth... here is the reply I added in that...

To answer your question from pm on cfans here...

No issues with the tires and rims... everyone runs the rts's, not really sure about how big that tire size is...

The issue you are going to run into is not knowing just how low you can drop the truck. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but adding drop shocks to our torsion bar suspension will not drop it any. The torsion bars is where the vehicles height lies. You can crank them down a good bit. Hell, there was one kid on here running his dropped. His tires were FILLING the wheel wells from the back to the front.. I couldn't even understand how he could turn (but that isn't the topic here.)

In the rear, some blocks and drop shocks would work perfect. You would need something like 4" block to do it, but it would work. That or you could swap out the leaf springs I believe.

Oh and yes, your uncle bought you the Z71 package.

I wish I could tell you the result of someone uncranking their torsion bars too much, but I don't think that I have seen it. Is it possible? It sure is logical, but I wonder if it has a stopping point on it...

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.