Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1824 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well i before i even start off this thread...if your going to bash lowering a 4x4..gtfo your not wanted here. with that aside...

I know there is only a handful of us on here that have done it so PLEASE POST UP. i would like to see pics, tell me about your parts setup, shocks, etc...

heres the low down on my setup:
Front:
-Smaxx keys, 2" setting, you can get 4" on these keys, the cv angles are bad, but no worse than a 2" lift cranked out of the stock ones. im at approx 3.5-4" and they seem perfectly fine.
-front shocks: monroe reflex for an 01 nissan frontier. total bitch to get installed but managed after a little BFH modding
-greasable poly sway bar bushings
Rear:
-belltech 3" blocks
-belltech 2* pinion shims
-Monroe MA762 air shocks....tits btw.
-Belltech rear sway bar
- autozone leaf helper springs top mounted.

all said and done its actually about a 3.5-4" front and 4-5" back. going from lifted to slammed i really dont have a normal measurement :shrug:

:355:

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
i thought it was hard to lower a 4x4 cause of the TB....but i dont really got nothing against it...I think its kinda cool have a good lookin truck that still can kinda go places....well at least not get stuck in snow..

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
Hit up Hashbrown1087 I think thats his user name.

I'm pretty sure hes a lowered Z71! Looks badass!

·
badlandindustries.com
9,681 Posts
can i have all your 4x4 parts? since post drop you wont be able to get your bumper over a curb you wont need the 4x4 right?

anythings possible bro. i know the bump stops will have to be cut and you may even have to buy keys form SM so you can re index them for the lower stance. you cant go too low cause you have the tortionbar cross member hanging down. youll prolly have to fab up new front leaf spring perches and get the zq8 leafs.it all depends on how low you go.

·
Registered
169 Posts
low to the ground good ride quality and handling. so you want something like a rally truck. i like it what size rims/tires? iv done an 4x4 s10 in to a rally truck. fun truck. almost got it to lay out. so you can get as low as want. you just have to realy want it. lol. i would see about getting coilover to fit. stock ones for now then qa1. to bad your not in cali. i would realy like to help you with this. still ill do want i can. goodluck

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ball joint spacers might keep the front a bit more stock...hmm i'm only going

dont forget this is VERY up for change. i just want to do this all the best way possible for my own needs of the vehicle.

my plans so far:
rear: my stock z85 leafs tended to sag a little to begin with so i'm thinking a 2" drop block (who makes a really durable one? i've heard of some cracking..) and then the $25 leaf helper springs i use to run top mounted, which lowered my rear almost a full .5" ..so 2.5" rear drop total
front: so far i'm just thinking suspension maxx keys indexed for probably 2". he suggested 1.2" to maintain cv angle but i really want to push my luck and roll a 2" front drop. which for my z85 (been discussing with hashbrown) a 2" drop should have no issues at all.
shock: KYBs have been used for a couple torsion bar dropped trucks and results have been good. but i hear such great things about bilstiens that i think i want to dump the money on them. opinions?
other definite wants:
- belltech anti-sways front and rear
- superskidz full plates...and maybe some other custom made ones for the leaf perches or w/e is suggested.suggestions for this from the lowered 2wd guys would be awesome too.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
truck is actually going to rally'd in dirt? i'd be scared to use drop blocks. maybe look into frenching the front leaf spring hanger into the frame to get the drop you want?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o no no not going to rally it. i'm sure i'll have some fun sunday afternoons but no its mostly just a pavement pounder. i'm def going with the skidz for the reasons of clearance and i'll prob hang it up a couple times while out fishing and such.

Does anyone make a 2" drop leaf spring? i dont really want to do a 3" drop spring in case i end up getting 4" out of it like i've heard in some cases. and zq8s are just a whole lotta hassle to obtain considering its a 1" drop. i'm really stuck in between.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
o no no not going to rally it. i'm sure i'll have some fun sunday afternoons but no its mostly just a pavement pounder. i'm def going with the skidz for the reasons of clearance and i'll prob hang it up a couple times while out fishing and such.

Does anyone make a 2" drop leaf spring? i dont really want to do a 3" drop spring in case i end up getting 4" out of it like i've heard in some cases. and zq8s are just a whole lotta hassle to obtain considering its a 1" drop. i'm really stuck in between.
No Belltech is the only one that makes drop leafs and they are 3"

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeremy- thanks. i knew someone would have the answer.

maybe zq8's with a leaf taken out?
well i was thinking about my z85s with a leaf taken out. freewood did that and some have seen a 1" drop...others 3". i know i know theres only one way to find out in that case, but i dont have a garage i have to keep bugging my buddy to use his. and hes a few months away from his 55 ford with a 383 stroker being street ready lol.

my possible option is removing a z85 leaf and then running the leaf helper either top or bottom, and if needed a 1" or even .5" drop block. i'm gonna go find that thread and look into that option as well.

this is good i'm glad progress is being made and the thought process is forming well. i dont want to jump into anything this time around.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
No problem!

·
Nation Affiliate
720 Posts
I would not advise pulling a leaf out of the ZQ8 leaf pack. The ZQ8 springs aren't as strong as the Z85 springs.
However, pulling a leaf out the Z85 leaf pack would probably give you desirable results. After doing so, I would recommend some air shocks and the traction helpers. It will be easier to fine tune your drop after this with a block if you need to(as you said, the results are inconsistent as with all lowering components on Colorados.)
The keys would work well for the front. It's a lot like lifting... just in reverse. ;) [The torsion bars have their limits, and you have to keep CV angles in mind.)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i wouldnt pull one out of the zq8. i'm slightly leary of pulling one out of the z85 but like mentioned with helper springs i think it would ease my mind about it. i dont know much about shocks so i've gotta look into the air shocks. freewood seemed pretty pumped about them though. good shocks are def a must. they made a huge difference with the lift i'm currently running.

ssgjurista
with the 1.2" and 2" keys from smaxx i know you had mentioned the 1.2" being best for cv angle but with the z85 setup what are your thoughts on the 2" keys? i'd really like the extra inch of drop.

·
shaved of course
1,754 Posts
so are you going to have to remove the front drive shaft and/or any other parts?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so are you going to have to remove the front drive shaft and/or any other parts?
no not at all. the 4wd system will remain 100% intact. i push button, front axle engages, i romp through snow....or plow through it if its that much snow lol. i only got a 4x4 for winter weather conditions and where i went to school it was snowing literally almost every day.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
with that front drop the only issue I see is some added stress on the CV which means turning hard in 4wd way be a task but other than that I don't see a problem with it if the 4wd is basically just for an emergency. I wouldn't advise you into cutting the front bumpstops or anything because that will just start causing issues for you with the front drive train if your changing the upward travel.

I'm curious how this all plays out because I would like my truck dropped after my 3.7L kicks it and I go for a V8 swap but I cant loose the 4wd because of my area so keep us posted

1 - 20 of 1824 Posts