Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading post after post I have decided to lower my canyon 2/3. Many on these forums have advised against a 2/3 posting instead that a 3/4 is better. I don't want to scrape worry about speed bumps ect and I'm not interested in being in the weeds. My question is this Bj's vs springs in the front what is the overall difference in ride quality? When I do the drop I'm also adding the F/R sway bar kit. I am on the fence as to running 18" vs 20" wheels I don't want to sacrifice ride quality for performance but am looking for a happy medium with no rubbing /scraping.

2010 G.M.C Canyon
5.3 E.C Z85

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
... I am on the fence as to running 18" vs 20" wheels I don't want to sacrifice ride quality for performance but am looking for a happy medium with no rubbing /scraping.
18-inch wheels mean 55-series tires.
20-inch? Where are you then?

You can't expect to run ultra-low-profile tires and get decent ride quality.
You gotta choose.... the appearance and handling of low-profile performance tires or decent ride.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
in my small amount of experience, the springs often stiffen up or soften the ride(depending which ones you get from what manufacturer) when you get drop coils.
the balljoints essentially give you a factory ride with the wheel mounting higher.
guess that is up to you if you like the actual ride quality of it stock or not.
another thing to remember is your struts and shocks will effect ride as well
coilovers are best option(in my opinion) for ride quality. those are not cheap tho.

the smaller the tires the worse the ride..with a 20" wheel and a 3"-4" drop believe alot of people are running 255/35's, with a 2" drop, may get lucky and be able to run a 40 series, that may change drastically depending on offset/backspacing and other mods.

18's are gunna give you a taller actual tire option which in turn will make it ride a little better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stock ride isn't too bad it only has 22k miles on it so i want some life out of the struts before i ponder changing them. I also realize the sway bars will firm up the ride some too so I guess I'll go Bj's and bars and see how it feels. As for wheels I know I want O-E wheels. Since Xtreme wheels are so hard to come by I was thinking these GMC wheels. I guess I'm gonna drop it and see how much room I have to play with and go from there.

Appreciate your thoughts guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
...I also realize the sway bars will firm up the ride some too so I guess I'll go Bj's and bars and see how it feels....
My Z85 crew didn't have a rear sway from the factory.

At about 95K I installed a Belltech rear swaybar.
That improved the ride quite a bit, really smoothed it out by taming the rear axle, maintaining it under much better control.
If I had known how much it would improve the ride I would have installed it within the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
my suspension is in my sig, i right now have the factory 16 inch wheels, but i am in the process of installing 18 inch 2015 silverado wheels, my truck rides great right now with minimal bump stop hitting unless i'm flying over a huge bump, but then i'm just asking for it. if you daily it, do 18s with a fatter tire for sure

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
after riding the fence guys i finally did this to her
Have to cut the cups asap its killing me
still waiting on the front and rear sway bar kit its due next week
anyone know if the reflexes will top out on my 2.5 drop front?
thanks for all the advice guy really appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Today I replaced the bushings in the frame where the leaf shackles bolt in.
Made a nice difference in the ride quality.
That's on my '05 with 135K miles, so it may not yet apply to you Leviathan..
It's worth inspecting though.

That shackle-to-frame bushing is one that really takes a pounding, and mine was visibly dry-rotted. You could see the cracks in the bushing even before the shackle bolts were removed. When it becomes worn it allows the shackle + bolt to rattle-around in the mount and that increases ride harshness and noise.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
How difficult were the frame bushings? Cause I really to get this done. My bushings are dry-rotted and cracked. And I think its causing the vibration I have.
As usual, I couldn't do it myself 'cause I'm a long way from home and don't have anywhere to do it.
Took my shop guy (who is one of the finest mechanics I've ever seen, and extremely focused and quick) about 1-1/2 hours.

He had to burn the old bushings out with a torch of course.
I bought new shackles, even though my old shackles looked pretty good...
My truck has spent most of the ten winters I've owned it in the northern regions so it has plenty of chassis corrosion.

Every soft part in the chassis eventually causes ride harshness and chassis noise when it gets worn.
I've spent an insane amount of $$$ recently to 'freshen-up the suspension so my truck will ride and feel like new again.
For me though, it's gotta feel not old, not worn-out or else I'm just not interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts