Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

What drop should i run on my z85 4x4...dont forget i do drive through snow all winter

• 1/2

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 2/2

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 2/3

Votes: 5 55.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive had these threads before but the summer is coming up fast. i realized i cant afford the gas prices of lifitng my truck and im into both lifted and lowered trucks. with that said...

I have a z85 4x4 thats going to end up with 275/45/20s on it. HOW MUCH DROP DO I DO???

Take these factors into account please:
-i live in New England and need to have have some clearance in the snow all winter long
-i go camping and drive down many of dirt roads
-i dont want to tuck the tires but obv make them fill up the wheel gap

so what do you guys think i should run for a drop?

1/2?
2/2?
3/2?

thanks a ton guys! :salute:

M

·
0 Posts
Um, I recommend you don't lower it at all, seeing that it's a 4x4. I don't even know if it's even possible with your truck, actually.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it def can be done. you can use either blocks or lowering leaf packs in the rear and either crank down the t-bars slightly or get new t-bar keys and go 2-3 inches in the front. theres been atleast 3-4 members that have done it. i really only got 4wd due to where i live. i would however like to build a rig for 4wheelin in the future.

M

·
0 Posts
it def can be done. you can use either blocks or lowering leaf packs in the rear and either crank down the t-bars slightly or get new t-bar keys and go 2-3 inches in the front. theres been atleast 3-4 members that have done it. i really only got 4wd due to where i live. i would however like to build a rig for 4wheelin in the future.
Do that and now you can't align the truck.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
huh? you mean it will be out of alignment. yeh anytime you move the torsion bars you end up needing an alignment.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you guys dont think the 3" block in the rear will be too low for driving through 12-20 inches of snow???

its gonna have 235/75/15s in the winter (stock) so keep this in mind. i go to school in the white mountains area of NH.

·
Registered
24 Posts
:mc:

12-20" of snow?

Dude...you're going to need all that travel room for plowin' thru that shit and runnin' big ass nubby tires...street tires on 20's aren't getting you anywhere in snow...

I would also recommend against lowering it, at all, for your application. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha i was telling myself that but it'll be fine if i keep 2" or less of drop. ive got some michelin ltx m/s tires on the stocks that i'll be running all winter season. theres only a couple times a year were i need to drive around in 12"+ of snow. hell i was in 4wd doing drifts in a 2ft deep parking lot this winter. haha was so much fun. yeh maybe i'll go with 2" or less of drop.

M

·
0 Posts
huh? you mean it will be out of alignment. yeh anytime you move the torsion bars you end up needing an alignment.
haha 2" or less of drop...yeh maybe i'll go with 2" or less of drop.
My earlier post I was saying that you wont be able to align the truck and retain the ride height you want.

I'm really not trying to be a dick, but seriously, what's the point of 2" or less? What are you gaining from that drop other than a stiffer ride and less ground clearance? If you're set on this man, more power to ya, and good luck! :355:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
o yeh i kno. the 2" drop will reduce alot of the wheel gap. right now i have like 6" between the stock tire and fender. with a slightly larger tire and a 2" drop that will make reduce that gap noticeably.

i figure with a 1" taller diameter tire and a 2" drop that would amount to a 1" drop in ride height so shouldnt be too bad.

appreciate the input fellas

·
Registered
94 Posts
I understand wanting to reduce the wheel gap, but you're not really going to look "low."

From all of your descriptions of where you drive and what you need it to be able to do, I would just save up for a little while longer and lift it.

To me it just doesn't make sense to lower anything that is 4x4, especially when you actually use it's capabilities. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeh i know i always get that. my original plan was to do a small lift and some 265/70/17s. i have 3.42 gears tho so i would lose power, and substantial gas mileage. with gas on the rise losing 4mpg just inst gonna be worth it to me.

im not going for a super low look i jsut want it to do the small drop to clean it up a little. i guess a foot of snow sounds like alot to some of you but its really not that bad. think of a little subaru. its awd (pretty much same concept as 4x4) and they sit inches from the ground and can still plow thru that much snow. so i really dont think it would be that much of an issue.

im just wondering how much drop would it take to make the 275/45/20s fit clean in the fenders like it was a stock zq8 with those tires i guess something like that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I drive in basically the same conditions as you, maybe a little better, and I know there was plenty of time I wished I had more ground clearance. Given I'm quite a bit lower than you, but still, every inch helps.

And not to sound like a complete idiot, but how does lifting your truck reduce gas mileage? :wtf2:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
big heavy tires...

and crappy aerodynamics.
exactly.

i was only going to run 31.6" diameter tires but with the 3.42 gear ratio i ended up finding i would lose a definite 3-5mpg which i just cant afford considering ive been putting 200 miles a week on average.

Matt, where you feeling resistance from snow against the front of your truck or just losing traction since its rwd...and what were you doing about weight in your bed? even with my 4wd i still run 120 lbs in the rear of the bed. ive never had an issue at all with that combo.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I say get the 20s that stick out a little and put some chunky tires to fill the wheel well. This way you still got 20s and you can ride throught the snow. Like how guys put 22s on Z71s.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well im gonna run my stockers during the winter. i want some black w/ chrome 20s so the winter season would annihilate them. the state of new hampshire loooooovees to dump road salt everytime they get the chance. thats why all you southern guys can have 20 yr old vehicles that are in such good condition. i just love this area too much to leave.

·
0 Posts
4x4 == Lift
2x4 == Lower

Lifting a 2x4 in my mind is also a sin unless its going to end up pre-runnner'd out, then its ok...

Just my opinion though ;)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeh your not alone on that econo. but like i mentioned before i only bought a 4x4 bcuz i live in new england

1 - 20 of 34 Posts