Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to lower my truck, here are the current specs: 2011 GMC Canyon crew cab, 3.7L SLE completely stock except Kenwood deck.

I want to lower it but I am torn on which components to get. I want to drop 2 in the front, 3 in the rear. I am pretty convinced to get the Belltech coilovers for the front, but torn between the springs and blocks for the back.

What is everyone's suggestions on the best way for ride and least amount of bottoming out with a 3" drop and not notching the frame?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is one "preffered" over the other? I will get new shocks at the same time for the rear so the blocks might be a better option so it is not too stiff? I don't mind stiff but shocks and leafs might be too much it sounds like. I have looked at that thread already, thank you though. Most people are running 20"+ rims though, I am planning on keeping the 16's for now. I kinda like them.

Thanks again!

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
The 3" leafs are actually softer. They only feel stiff when new. After you break-in, they bounce really bad.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Only preferance would be what you plan to use the truck for and what you want the ride to be like... so basically it's up to you as to which you want to do... :shrug:

Obviously if you have more tire (16s vs 20s) then you will have a softer ride so once again.

You can also create a stiffer ride by the shock you run if the blocks aren't stiff enough.

If you don't haul anything crazy heavy and like the current ride for the rear, go blocks.

If you haul heavy stuff a lot and don't mind it being stiffer, go with the leafs.

Most run blocks simply because they are cheaper.

**Edit** Well there's a more educated opinion on the leafs. Thanks Dan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing heavy that I haul is my bike when I go to the track, ~500#. I also sometimes pull a car trailer, ~3500# total weight.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
They have been known to crack/break... :shrug:

Then again, only people that post up about them are usually the ones that were unhappy. So who knows...

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I will say I have them, they worked fine with me, no cracks or complaints minus not being able to use drop bjs with them, I converted mine over to be used with airbags though roughly 30k miles into them. Still going strong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am more confused now than ever, lol! That is why I waited to buy anything until I got on here. Will the DJM LCA's take out the lean? That was one of the reasons I wanted to go coilover, so I wouldn't have to cut a spring.

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
No, the LCA's will not correct for the lean

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
The lean comes from more weight on the left side of the truck when compared to the right side of the truck. The left side of the truck always has the driver and fuel weight so, over time the suspension on the left side sags more than the right

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I just ordered up my parts I will be using. Thanks to everyone for the inputs. Here is what I got: Belltech coilovers for the front, DJM 3" blocks for the rear, and the Belltech sway bar kit for front and rear. I also picked up some Goodridge steel braided lines and speed bleeders since I will be replacing the rotors and pads when I do all of the suspension.

Dan, I probably will need an extra pair of hands when I get to doing this task. Won't be until late April when I get back. :/

1 - 20 of 37 Posts