Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello evryone, just sign up here and pretty much new to the whole chevy/gm thing and and YES i have a few ?.....

first off i have an 05 colorado zq8 suspension on there...and by reading other post here...most everyone seems to have the belltech bj for the front..and the back is either drop blocks or drop leaf....which leads me to my question in regards to the back been drop...

which one is more recommended the blocks or the leaf? and why?

im looking for a nice close to factory ride, but a little lower from where it sits now..thanks.

any remarks, comments are welcome..

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
2" blocks on a ZQ8 would ride similar to stock. But the leafs are just a better solution than blocks for a few reasons, but they are also quite a bit more expensive.

X

·
0 Posts
i have 2'' blocks and mine has close to stock ride quality with the drop desired.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
:welcome: to the site! Yay...another DFW-ite...

I have a 3/4 drop on mine and my ride is NOT like stock :kiki:.

You shouldn't have a problem with 2" blocks though. Post up some pics!

:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply guys....

so whats the big differences between blocks and leaf, besides price...

and yes i will post pic as soon as im allow to open up that new dslr this tuesday...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im in the mesquite area...

well i guess no ones really knows the difference/ benefits of either the blocks or leaf...seems like everyone goes with the lowering block more cuz of price and adjust to the ride...

thanks again for the input...so likely i'll proille go with the bj and block frm belltech, since most people seem to go with those...

now next step is to find a reputible installer in the dallas area...

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
You're reading too much into this man. The difference is personal preference.......that's it. Well, price too but that's obvious. Some guys SWEAR that blocks ride like shit, and they break, and they'll never use them again, blah blah blah. But other's don't, and have never had a single problem with them, like me. Plus I don't know how much of a drop the leafs will give you since you have a ZQ8, but someone else will have to verify that.

I have a ZQ8 dropped with 2" BJ's and Blocks. MY personal opinon is blocks are fine. When I 1st dropped mine, it seriously rode like stock with the exceptions of major bumps, dips, and potholes. And of course when I haul stuff, the rear will squat on the bumpstops and have that bouncy ride. Also I have like 20-some thousand miles on the drop so by now the stock shocks are SHOT! My front end squeaks and shit, it's annoying and make my truck sound like a hooptie! haha But still, on "normal" roads the ride is fine and still comparable to stock.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
i have a 1" block that just leveled it out nicely. Doesnt ride any different unless i hit a big ass bump

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thankas again for the info...

well josue guess your the only one who kinda give more details...thank you

but yea the belltech bj and block is what im gona go with, since it seems like everyone got those...so i guess theyll hold up...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The big advantage to leafs is the ability to go lower when combined with blocks.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference and/or how much money you have to spend.

The safest way to go is with the leafs because yes, there is a chance they can break. But a lot of people haven't had any issues with blocks and will swear by them.

If you're interested in keeping the ride level, front to back, and you're planning on dropping your front end with the balljoints, you'll want to go with 3" blocks.

Otherwise, with the balljoints and 2" blocks, your truck will have a rake.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
^ Good point!

I had 3" blocks in mine at 1st and I took them out after 5 days. ZQ8's don't have that much of a rake to begin with so I was afraid that the truck would sit too low in the rear and look goofy. It kinda did in my mind, plus the ride wasn't the best! So I went up to 2" and haven't looked back since!!

And if you didn't already know this, you'll want to either trim the bigger yellow bumpstops down, or just remove them completly. Same personal preference applies here. Some guys just take them off, other's trim them...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
the drop leafs will only drop the rear an inch or so. so if you plan to go more than that you will need blocks anyways. the aftermarket leafpack is a little stiffer than stock but still gives a comfortable ride. blocks DO NOT change the rear suspension geometry AT ALL so to say they ride like crap is rediculous.

3" blocks and you will be smacking frame (with the axle) on every crack in the road, 2" blocks and mine does on big dips ( 70k miles on factory shocks doesnt help).

as for the front you are limited to the BJ's unless you want to get lowering springs and cut them. everyone says the belltech lowering springs are stiffer but mine seem ALOT softer than stock and if i had to do it again i would go with the BJ's. my truck used to be very solid in the turns, now it has alot of body roll.

if you go low enough you will need a transmission crossmember and atleast an in frame notch.

hope thats detailed enough.

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
^^im def going to have to go with you on the front springs being a lot softer than stocks.

i have a 3/4 drop. the ride is a lil bouncy but not too bad. only on dips and big bumps, pot holes and such.

blocks are a fine way to go. the reason price is a issue is b/c its $210 for leafs where as blocks are, well idk but i paid $31 for mine and they are 4'' blocks. so that leaves $179 for beer, gas, and strip clubs in that order. thats just my way of thinking.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
^^im def going to have to go with you on the front springs being a lot softer than stocks.

i have a 3/4 drop. the ride is a lil bouncy but not too bad. only on dips and big bumps, pot holes and such.

blocks are a fine way to go. the reason price is a issue is b/c its $210 for leafs where as blocks are, well idk but i paid $31 for mine and they are 4'' blocks. so that leaves $179 for beer, gas, and strip clubs in that order. thats just my way of thinking.
:lol:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
beer gas and strip clubs??? hahahaha the world of mini truckin

·
Registered
169 Posts
draggin_az;111515so that leaves $179 for beer said:
Some things in the Nation never change...Draggin is always Drinkin. haha Hmmm....maybe we should call him Otis...you know like the town drunk on the Andy Griffith show. :D

On a serious note, if you go with blocks make sure you go with a high quality block. The ones from JTR are really nice and solid. I have seen some of the cheaper blocks crack and bust in the past. But I still prefer the price of blocks and the ride quality is fine. Just be sure to replace the factory shocks with some lowered shocks in the near future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts