Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This truck belongs to my partner in crime. This guy had a helping hand in my 383 stroker el Camino, and was crucial in getting my 355 down to earth. He's been collecting parts and saving his pennies to turn his pretty clean, but boring S-10:

Into this, and please forgive my poor chopping skills:

The heart of the project, an LQ4 6.0L truck engine, arrived Monday:

That stock EFI will be swapped over to a Demon 750 carb setup on a GMPP single plane intake after the stock block and rotating assembly is freshened up with parts from ARP, Clevite, and Speed Pro. We hope to use the stock coil packs with MSD's timing module, designed specifically for carb'd Gen III small blocks. Incidentally, the stock throttle body, intake, exhaust manifolds, and lots of other stock parts are for sale, send me a pm if you're interested.

This will spin a 6 Speed T56 that we are currently rebuilding:

There's lots of other stuff planned, including a triangulated 4-link out back, sprung with QA1 adjustable coilovers, beefed up 10-bolt, a healthy static drop, and upgraded brakes all around.

Now that we have the engine and tranny, and parts are arriving daily, we should make very quick progress. We are rebuilding the engine this weekend if our schedules work out, and hope to have the truck running and carving corners by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry for the cell phone pics here, in the rush to get everything ready for this weekend, we forgot a decent camera.

Lunch break after getting the engine to bare block:

After a few hours of cleaning, honing the cylinders, checking specs 3 times, the rotating assembly is put together with Clevite 77 bearings and Speed Pro rings:

With the engine at TDC, the cam and roller timing chain are installed, followed by a Melling high volume oil pump, front cover, and an S-10 specific pick up tube and oil pan.

At this point, we ran out of energy and wanted to relax some before the weekend was over. We cleaned up the heads and mocked up the top end. I will port match the heads and polish some stuff up this week, hopefully we'll finish the engine and get the T56 ready next weekend.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ummmm...no pics! hehe

·
Sadistic Kustomz Wi
2,234 Posts
those look like some fun toys hes got there. how much power is he thinking hes going to have after all of that?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Going to be a torque monster for sure!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how much power is he thinking hes going to have after all of that?

The stock LQ4 was rated at 325 horses and 350 ft. lbs. with a very conservative factory tune. Car Craft did a carb'd LQ4 and got 420 hp and 439 ft. lbs. on basically a stock engine. We followed that exact build, and are upgrading their Holley 750 to a Demon 750, plus port matching and milling the heads. We don't have access to a dyno for tuning like they did, but we're hoping for a solid 400 horses. The engine is only a small aspect of the build; I'm more excited about the 6-speed and four link out back :naughty:

Just added some updated pics above, the short block is together and I'll be starting the head work this week.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
I want a V8 in my truck :-(

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We also swapped out all of the factory rubber bushings with Energy Suspension poly bushings.

The trans is apart, we're waiting for a new 2nd gear to show up... The last owner apparently LOVED hard 1-2 shifts, because the synco teeth were toast on 2nd. Everything else looks good. The plastic shift fork pads from the Camaro-sourced T56 are being replaced with brass Viper pieces, and every bearing and race is being replaced with Timken parts.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts