Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Long time since I last posted here as I am an avid lurker. I have a question that I can't seem to get an answer to. Has anyone swapped an instrument cluster from a silverado/tahoe into their colorado? I am in a situation where I have no gauges and don't want to go the OBD route, it works for now but I want real gauges and aftermarket is not an option. You are probably asking, "why didn't you make it easy and get the Current Performance harness?" I already had my stand alone harness purchased as originally the swap was not meant for the Colorado. It is practically done at this point and I am just looking for options for clusters and I think a 99-02 cluster from a silverado/tahoe will work fine but I just want to know if anyone has fitted one to their colorado.

Thanks in advance.:th_gimmebeer:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hi, where from in PA ? I'm in Philly.
:welcome2:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Your issue will be getting the PCM to communicate with the BCM........ there will not be an easy fix for this. Not only that, now you want to stuff a gauge cluster that doesn't belong... aka square peg in a round hole. Have fun hacking your dash up :hide:

This should have been addressed and thought of in the planning phase of the swap. Trying to be cheap or take shorts cuts on a swap ends up snowballing into larger problems in the end. I got it, everyone wants to go fast now......but that's how you end up in this situation.

Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, where from in PA ? I'm in Philly.
:welcome2:
I'm up north near Williamsport

Your issue will be getting the PCM to communicate with the BCM........ there will not be an easy fix for this. Not only that, now you want to stuff a gauge cluster that doesn't belong... aka square peg in a round hole. Have fun hacking your dash up :hide:

This should have been addressed and thought of in the planning phase of the swap. Trying to be cheap or take shorts cuts on a swap ends up snowballing into larger problems in the end. I got it, everyone wants to go fast now......but that's how you end up in this situation.

Good luck

I may have found a fix that I can get the stock dash to communicate with the standalone pcm. If so I am golden. As for your second statement this swap was not initially intended for a Colorado at all, which is why I went stand alone in the first place. If I did this again I would have went with the CP harness. Too late now.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Fair enough and good luck!

Let us know what happens

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hooked up one wire to the serial wire coming from the stand alone pcm and the stock colorado cluster appears to be working! Right off the bat I was able to see the tach working and that was it until I can get it out of the shop for more testing but I have high hopes that the rest will work too. Hazaa!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm up north near Williamsport

I may have found a fix that I can get the stock dash to communicate with the standalone pcm. If so I am golden. As for your second statement this swap was not initially intended for a Colorado at all, which is why I went stand alone in the first place. If I did this again I would have went with the CP harness. Too late now.
I'm having the same issues as you. I know this is a old post but did you find a way around it to get the cluster to work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hooked up one wire to the serial wire coming from the stand alone pcm and the stock colorado cluster appears to be working! Right off the bat I was able to see the tach working and that was it until I can get it out of the shop for more testing but I have high hopes that the rest will work too. Hazaa!
I connected PIN 58 on C1 PCM connector to the clusters purple wire on pin 11 and everything works. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
So glad I found this post. This should help make a swap cheaper.

Does the factory cruise still work, as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So glad I found this post. This should help make a swap cheaper.

Does the factory cruise still work, as well?
No Sir. The ECM does not communicate with BCM nor ABS, so no cruise control. Although I keep wondering what would happen if Id share the serial data with them. Im pretty sure they require high speed can communication though. If you want to retain ABS and all that, you will need an E40 PCM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No Sir. The ECM does not communicate with BCM nor ABS, so no cruise control. Although I keep wondering what would happen if Id share the serial data with them. Im pretty sure they require high speed can communication though. If you want to retain ABS and all that, you will need an E40 PCM.
Good to know.
From from searching, it appears it’s possible to set up cruise on swaps with a stand-alone harness. I guess that could be an option for cruise if ABS isn’t needed (like doing a SAS without it, in my case).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,

Long time since I last posted here as I am an avid lurker. I have a question that I can't seem to get an answer to. Has anyone swapped an instrument cluster from a silverado/tahoe into their colorado? I am in a situation where I have no gauges and don't want to go the OBD route, it works for now but I want real gauges and aftermarket is not an option. You are probably asking, "why didn't you make it easy and get the Current Performance harness?" I already had my stand alone harness purchased as originally the swap was not meant for the Colorado. It is practically done at this point and I am just looking for options for clusters and I think a 99-02 cluster from a silverado/tahoe will work fine but I just want to know if anyone has fitted one to their colorado.

Thanks in advance.:th_gimmebeer:
Didnyou ever get your cluster to work. If so. How did you do it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 Silverado with a ls3 from a 14 camaro with psi harness. How do I make the cluster work with it. I dont care about the well you should of thought this through and it's going to he hard I know all this. I need to know how to make it work does anyone know

1 - 14 of 14 Posts