Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing thise engine for around $800 and having it fixed. Based on the description what do you think is wrong and how much do you estimate it to cost to get fixed?

i have an ls1 complete less the wire harness, has 50k miles on it. has water pump, coils, powersteering, injector rail, font pulley, flywheel for standard shift trans, mas air flow, plenum. runs fine has alittle noise because a lifter went bad and messed up the cam.
Also would it be easy to change to flywheel over to an automatic trans?

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Well. Im not sure about the motor but if I were going to install a v8 into my colorado and lived in FL. I would call and talk to Jerad at Current Performance. They have swaped a hand full of colorado's allready and he would be the first person I would call.

http://currentperformance.com There even located in fl.

EDIT If you havent seen the v8 sticky Its worth taking a look at it.

http://forum.355nation.net/showthread.php?t=423

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read all that and plan on contacting him about the install...but looking for an engine first...I want an LS2, but can't justify the $5-6000 to the future wife for something she doesn't care about.

·
0 Posts
Changing a flywheel is just...bolts...but our imput shaft is different, its smaller...so you would need to swap that out too

As for that screwed cam/lifter...I would get more info...how did it mess up the cam? The cam is the heart of the engine, if it's defective it will just lead to more issues...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changing a flywheel is just...bolts...but our imput shaft is different, its smaller...so you would need to swap that out too

As for that screwed cam/lifter...I would get more info...how did it mess up the cam? The cam is the heart of the engine, if it's defective it will just lead to more issues...
What kind of issues would come from the defective cam? I don't plan to fix it myself, I will have a reputable shop do it, but I don't want the overall cost to be more than what I can get an LS1 in good shape with less miles for...

·
0 Posts
It could effect anything pertaining to the valvetrain...the cam is what makes the engine breathe...if the profile is destroyed or worn very bad you could have a cylinder or even a few cylinders that are not performing like they should...

I don't know off the top of my head what the flat rate for swapping a cam is...best bet is just to call around to some local shops and see how much they would charge to inspect it and install a new cam and time it if needed...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, this is what I got out of him

here is the deal my dad works for a dealer the reason it came in is because it had a noise.when they took it apart the only thing that went bad was the lifter, since the lifter went bad the skate in the lifter messed the cam shaft up. nothing else is wrong with the motor, the block is perfect.

·
0 Posts
If that's the case than you probably only need a new cam, I would still have someone inspect it to make sure nothing else is broken...while you're swapping the cam might as well put a hotter one in there for some more ponies...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol...that'd be the plan. If I buy this one it wont actually get swapped into the Colly until later this year/beginning of next. I will have this engine cleaned up and get some aftermarket performance where possible most likely.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
stock ls1 cam and lifters could be had for under $100. you'll have to pull the heads to replace the lifters.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you guys think its a good deal? Or should I move over and let one of you buy it :kiki:?

·
HO IT
2,153 Posts
I'm iffy on the cam/lifter issue but you could do a nice aggressive cam swap and that LS1 would scream. Swapping the cam isn't too bad of a job either, I would do it yourself and save some cash. I think the price is decent though. I would get a second opinion from a friend who could check it out in person but otherwise I think it's worth going after. LSx's are damn solid and can handle some abuse.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea I have some buddies who would help me do the swap myself...if I do end up buying it I will see about fixing it myself if its worth it...we will see.

·
HO IT
2,153 Posts
It's worth it. Get another guy to help you and you could knock that cam swap out in less than a day and save some cash doing it. You'll need to get it tuned anyway so save your cash for that expense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts