Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I believe 04colyzq8 had some info on the accessory drives in one of his threads. I haven't swapped so I can't personally guide you but figured I'd at least give you that info so you may be able to dig something up browsing through his threads.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've been trying to figure this out myself...

Which accessory setup is best for keeping all working accessories?

I know the truck stuff works... But I'd love to know what my other options are as well.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Better off with the silverado truck accessory drive. If memory serves me right, the AC compressor on the F bodys sits too low

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm speaking too Jamie now and he can't say for certain but he said he thinks the alternator hits, but the GTO works I thought they were the same?

And the corvette brackets work fine you just have too turn the fuse box.

I have the truck stuff and will probably end up using it, I just wanted too know if it could work I like how everything is under the intake on those drives

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Alright... Thats pretty much where I was thinking I was gonna end up... But information is so scattered and varied.

The only thing I still haven't figured out for sure is what PCM setup I'm going to need to make my LS6 Long Block work... 24x Crank Obviously, but I can change that to 58x if thats what I need to do. (Which I think I will)

I just want to figure out which setup will keep ALL functions such as cruise.

I plan to use a Current Performance Harness... And from what I gather he can make pretty much any setup work, but I'm trying to do this as clean and as efficiently as possible.

My collection of parts so far...

LS6 Long Block with Forged Internals, AFR Heads, Small Cam
LM7 Take Out from Silverado with all Accessories, Harness, 4L60E Trans, and Computer. (Pretty much just thinking I'll use the accessories.)
GTO LS2 Intake, TB, and Fuel Rails.

Plan to use the Doug Thorley headers and also find a 4L80 Trans

So now it's just a matter of figuring out that PCM / TCM Issue, and find a 4L80... Anybody got a good guide or some links where I might get a better understanding on my PCM choices?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Alright... Thats pretty much where I was thinking I was gonna end up... But information is so scattered and varied.

The only thing I still haven't figured out for sure is what PCM setup I'm going to need to make my LS6 Long Block work... 24x Crank Obviously, but I can change that to 58x if thats what I need to do. (Which I think I will)

I plan to use a Current Performance Harness... And from what I gather he can make pretty much any setup work, but I'm trying to do this as clean and as efficiently as possible.

LM7 Take Out from Silverado with all Accessories, Harness, 4L60E Trans, and Computer.

So now it's just a matter of figuring out that PCM / TCM Issue, and find a 4L80... Anybody got a good guide or some links where I might get a better understanding on my PCM choices?
Honestly go with Jaimie he's cheaper and can keep all of your functions including factory pedal, cruise, no backwards gas gauge 100% factory with a 24x crank and he can answer all of your questions send him a pm @04colyZQ8

Edit- I don't want it too sound like I'm bashing current performance they do great work, but Jamie works almost exclusively on colorado's at the least talk to him to figure out some issues you might have

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've actually been trying not to bug anybody who sells parts yet...

If they happen to stop into the thread and give advice... AWESOME.

But... I've always been the guy that doesn't want to bother somebody till I'm ready to buy.

I'm doing all the suspension, brakes, cooling, and other safety / longevity upgrades before I start taking the I5 out and actually doing the swap.... So it'll be a bit before I'm ready to spend money with somebody on harnesses and such.

I'll keep him in mind though when I am ready though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've actually been trying not to bug anybody who sells parts yet...

If they happen to stop into the thread and give advice... AWESOME.

But... I've always been the guy that doesn't want to bother somebody till I'm ready to buy.

I'm doing all the suspension, brakes, cooling, and other safety / longevity upgrades before I start taking the I5 out and actually doing the swap.... So it'll be a bit before I'm ready to spend money with somebody on harnesses and such.

I'll keep him in mind though when I am ready though.

I'm the same way I sent him a PM to ask about my PCM choices and he's been very helpful in all of my many (probably bothersome) questions.

And for your question I think your 2 options are a 411 PCM 24x or E67 PCM 58x both have advantages and disadvantages I swapped the crank in my LS6 to 58x to use the E67 but that was just easier with the cam I chose

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I'm the same way I sent him a PM to ask about my PCM choices and he's been very helpful in all of my many (probably bothersome) questions.

And for your question I think your 2 options are a 411 PCM 24x or E67 PCM 58x both have advantages and disadvantages I swapped the crank in my LS6 to 58x to use the E67 but that was just easier with the cam I chose
Thats actually the first mention I've ever seen of the 411 PCM even being compatible with the Colorado.

I'm reading 04colyZQ8's thread now... Seems he leans toward the E40 PCM in the early Colorados... (Mine is 06 BTW)

However... I am still reading. LOL

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats actually the first mention I've ever seen of the 411 PCM even being compatible with the Colorado.

I'm reading 04colyZQ8's thread now... Seems he leans toward the E40 PCM in the early Colorados... (Mine is 06 BTW)

However... I am still reading. LOL

Your right it's the E40 not the 411 my mistake.
mines a 05

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Ahh... I actually wondered if thats what you meant. LOL

BTW... Sorry for the thread jack. I just had similar questions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh... I actually wondered if thats what you meant. LOL

BTW... Sorry for the thread jack. I just had similar questions.
All good :cheers:

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Hey guys.. Yeah I'd love to actually see some feed back of someone who tired the F-body setup? But in theory, the alt would likely hit the frame rails.

I like the truck stuff myself..since the majority of us, start with truck motors, we likely have all the stuff, anyway. Plus I like to keep the fuse box, and battery in there stock locations!

It really isn't that hard to modify the alt bracket, and relocate the idler. to clear car intakes, and if you use a small 88mm truck TB, the 07 truck water pump clears with filling the upper neck 1/8". Looks clean, in my opinion, takes maybe 1.5 hrs to do.

Also if you drill and tap the water pump, for the steam vent, its really clean!

I, really like the 09 and up Colorado Volant intake, setup, but if you use it, you need a LS1/LS3 style water pump, or the upper rad hose hits the Volant intake. Then you just pull the pulley out 3/4", to align it with the truck accessory's, put a couple tacks on it, and cut off the remainder of the hub sticking out. You also need the F-body tensioner, or just drill and tap for the extra bolt hole (for truck tensioner) put in a few washers, to space it done!

Use a stock 09 lower Colorado V8 rad hose, and a cut to fit S hose, for the upper, (I posted the upper part number some. Where?) EDIT: DAYCO Part # 71695 Curved Radiator Hose; Type Single / Small ID 1.28" / Large ID 1.28" / Span 14" One of our most popular parts
Lower; Base Model; ES Model; SE Model; Cut to Fit

This sounds like a lot of work, but I'm juts being super detailed, it only takes a few hours to do it all, and uses what we already have, you just need to buy a new water pump, but that's prob not a bad idea anyway!

http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-swaps/99865-help-volant-intake-install-swaped-truck-ls2-intake.html

Pictures worth a 1000 words...

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts

LM7 Take Out from Silverado with all Accessories, Harness, 4L60E Trans, and Computer. (Pretty much just thinking I'll use the accessories.)

You can do either the 24x (E40 PCM/T42TCM) or 58x E67 PCM/T42TCM

E40 -24x Will need a custom cruise switch (I can modify the stock one) Trailblazer pedal, and starter relay, and will have a backwards fuel gauge trucks 04-05. If you go with a custom tune, you just need the custom cruise switch, stock pedal, ignition, all work, gauge is corrected. 4L80E, 4l60E T56, stock 5spd, can't run a 6L80E/6L90E DOD, on an automatic, cant use VVT. New used computers slightly more then 58x. Stock 56way pcm plug can be repined (trucks 04-07)

E67 -58x Everything works, like stock, can use 6L90E/6L80E, and VVT with auto. And same as above transmission choices. 2009 and older pcms super cheap used. Requires New PCM for VVT. Requires new pcm plug 56 way to be installed (trucks 04-07)

There it is in a nut shell. If the cranks out I'd say change it to a 58x, but that adds up..reluctor, crank sensor, 4x cam gear, LS3 front cover, with front mount cam sensor. Gaskets, and make sure the crank reluctor goes on perfectly.

Hope that helps you make the decision to go 24x, or 58x

Have you tired Hollander uesd parts? online for locating a 4L80E??

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
You can do either the 24x (E40 PCM/T42TCM) or 58x E67 PCM/T42TCM

E40 -24x Will need a custom cruise switch (I can modify the stock one) Trailblazer pedal, and starter relay, and will have a backwards fuel gauge trucks 04-05. If you go with a custom tune, you just need the custom cruise switch, stock pedal, ignition, all work, gauge is corrected. 4L80E, 4l60E T56, stock 5spd, can't run a 6L80E/6L90E DOD, on an automatic, cant use VVT. New used computers slightly more then 58x. Stock 56way pcm plug can be repined (trucks 04-07)

E67 -58x Everything works, like stock, can use 6L90E/6L80E, and VVT with auto. And same as above transmission choices. 2009 and older pcms super cheap used. Requires New PCM for VVT. Requires new pcm plug 56 way to be installed (trucks 04-07)

There it is in a nut shell. If the cranks out I'd say change it to a 58x, but that adds up..reluctor, crank sensor, 4x cam gear, LS3 front cover, with front mount cam sensor. Gaskets, and make sure the crank reluctor goes on perfectly.

Hope that helps you make the decision to go 24x, or 58x

Have you tired Hollander uesd parts? online for locating a 4L80E??
EPIC ANSWERS! THANK YOU!

I'm going to go E67 - 58x then... Because ideally, I'd love to have everything as close to factory as possible... And the option to run the 6L80/90... Icing on the cake!

I actually have a 6L80 and a 90 here that I could use... (SOOOO tempting to use the L9H I have also... BUT... I'd really rather sell it for the cash)... I just didn't know for sure if it would fit in the Colorado without huge modification... I needed to do more research.

(I part ALOT of these GM trucks and cars out... So I'll have my pick of whatever factory stuff I want really...)

Just got your PM... And will be responding soon.

Seriously... Thanks for sharing this knowledge.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I used the truck setup except I put the alt. on the bottom,plenty of clearance for everything. You can see some pic's in my gallery.the LS6 intake was much stronger on the Dyno for me than the LS2 and the 78mm throttle body is plenty big enough for anything short of forced induction and probably even fine with that! Have Fun.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I used the truck setup except I put the alt. on the bottom,plenty of clearance for everything. You can see some pic's in my gallery.the LS6 intake was much stronger on the Dyno for me than the LS2 and the 78mm throttle body is plenty big enough for anything short of forced induction and probably even fine with that! Have Fun.
LOL... My truck is pretty much the twin to yours.

Couple questions for you if you don't mind...

1) How did you mount the alternator down low? What parts did you use? Still kept A/C?

2) What bed cover is that!? It's the only over the rail cover I've seen I like.

3) Any chance you've got some more pics of your engine compartment somewhere?

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL... My truck is pretty much the twin to yours.

Couple questions for you if you don't mind...

1) How did you mount the alternator down low? What parts did you use? Still kept A/C?

2) What bed cover is that!? It's the only over the rail cover I've seen I like.

3) Any chance you've got some more pics of your engine compartment somewhere?

Thanks for posting!

I second these questions

There is not a lot of info on your truck but it's one of my favorites

1 - 20 of 34 Posts