Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been reading posts for a loooong time on here now. Got lots of info I needed for starting my swap and the community seem fairly nice! I have a question though that I cannot find an answer to and it is probably very stupid. I’ve found a ly5 motor with low km locally on craigslist. It is a long block, iron block motor... I cannot find anything regarding if a long block will fit, or if it is any harder to do than a small block engine. I was hoping to find a LC9 Engine as they are aluminum and small block. Unfortunately wreckers around here have 0 Gen 4 engines... Only reason I am looking to use a Gen 4 is because i read on current performance that they make for a much nicer (compatibility wise eg. Throttle pedal) swap, and my truck does have an E67 ECU I plan to flash as a 09 V8 colorado and have VATS + Rear O2’s + shift points removed (Truck has ar5 5-speed :) My question is has anyone used a Iron longblock LY5. Is it doable, or should I wait longer for a more suitable engine. ANY help or recommendations is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Oh and the truck is a 2WD SLE No torsion bars if anyone was worrying about weight being a factor but i don’t think it would be?

·
Registered
336 Posts
One thing with going with a iron block engine is your front end is going to be MUCH heavier. I'd be rather concerned about the long-term effects on the motor mounts, possibly shocks and overall driveability with that much weight up front on the truck. Hopefully some others who have done such a swap will chime in and offer some far more sage advice and more importantly, their experiences.

If you're patient, I would try to do everything I could to procure a LH9 engine, your swap will go much smoother I imagine (since they were modified for these trucks, easier to find accessories to mount) with it and it will be a far better, lighter and more modern, aluminum V8 engine.

Have you tried looking on car-part.com, even a hundred miles out of your area? Hell, even finding one on Ebay with freight shipping wouldn't be a bad idea...

·
Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
46 Posts
One thing with going with a iron block engine is your front end is going to be MUCH heavier. I'd be rather concerned about the long-term effects on the motor mounts, possibly shocks and overall driveability with that much weight up front on the truck. Hopefully some others who have done such a swap will chime in and offer some far more sage advice and more importantly, their experiences.

If you're patient, I would try to do everything I could to procure a LH9 engine, your swap will go much smoother I imagine (since they were modified for these trucks, easier to find accessories to mount) with it and it will be a far better, lighter and more modern, aluminum V8 engine.

Have you tried looking on car-part.com, even a hundred miles out of your area? Hell, even finding one on Ebay with freight shipping wouldn't be a bad idea...
On my V8 swap, I am going with a 6.0L. It is the newest engine with the best intake and exhaust ports plus VVT, and makes 360 HP stock. It uses an iron block with aluminum heads, and only weighs 90 lbs. more than an all aluminum engine. 90 lbs is not much, maybe one notch on the torsion bar adjustment would make up the weight on the front end.

Geoff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts