That's pretty cool.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
What makes you say that?
I run a mill at work all day and if its steel, that tool is going to run alot slower than that. Even if its Aluminum, it may be closer to the the actual video, but the feed just seems a little high to get a whole motor block done in 10 minutes

·
Registered
705 Posts
he started it after that!
I clicked on Skitz thread and saw his comment and was like wtf. I didnt know what he was talking about. I actually tried looking up the oldest thread and gave up. I know I clicked new posts at the top and when I commented on this thread, I noticed Geeds posted this up in 2007:shrug:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I run a mill at work all day and if its steel, that tool is going to run alot slower than that. Even if its Aluminum, it may be closer to the the actual video, but the feed just seems a little high to get a whole motor block done in 10 minutes
Well, the video is obviously time lapsed so they're not showing you every minute of machining time, but the actual cutting speeds seem accurate to me. You can't really say it's going to run slower because it's steel. It's going to depend on the grade of steel, the rigidity of the part, tool, and machine and the type of tool and process. I've cut steel at some pretty high feed rates, it just depends on what you're doing. Regardless, that's most definitetly aluminum. I would hazard a guess that if that machine ran 24/7 it would take a day or two to machine that out of a solid block, but I can't say for sure considering I don't know all the processes to machine certain features of the part.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That is a long way from being an actual engine block but it would look cool on a coffee table. Top fuelers run a solid forged aluminum block (they don't need cooling passages)that is machined for slip in steel cylinders. As far as the feed rates go, that does not look that fast to me. I've seen some crazy tools slinging blue chips like nobody's business.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
That is a long way from being an actual engine block but it would look cool on a coffee table. Top fuelers run a solid forged aluminum block (they don't need cooling passages)that is machined for slip in steel cylinders. As far as the feed rates go, that does not look that fast to me. I've seen some crazy tools slinging blue chips like nobody's business.
I assumed it was either a prototype model or a low volume part like something for an IRL engine. I believe they use a Nikasil coating over an aluminum bore instead of pressed in liners. :shrug:

This is the type of machine I use at work. It'd be cool if I could get a video of some of the stuff we make, but it's not really worth risking getting fired over. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts