Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share some pics of my old magnaflow cat back exhaust. I always thought they built a good product. I changed the exhaust because of drone and noise issues. It is now replaced with a gmpp performace exhaust.

The cut away photo is of the magnaflow resonator and has not be altered in any way shape or form. Magnaflow tells us they use a stainless wrap around the pipe then pack it with rockwool. You will notice there is no packing left in there. I could not cut away the muffler as it is being sent back to magnaflow.

This exhaust had 80 thousand km on it and was all installed at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
im ordering a new Borla muffler to replace my magnaflow muffler that is falling apart internally, rattles at idle and has gotten way too loud and droney...

ive heard of a few others on here with similar issues with magnaflow, I used to swear by them since I had them on previous cars with 0 issues, but I guess there is always a 1st..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Don't Magnaflows have a lifetime warranty? Have u contacted them? Sent them that pic?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted them this is what I was told.

Go back to the seller I bought it from and have it sent back so we can look at what happened and then if we feel we will send a replacement one.

I asked what do I do in the mean time. They told me buy another magnaflow cat back exhaust.

I asked so what happens with the old one. They said the company would then refund me for the old exhaust.

I ask what if you reject my claim.

They told me you will have to pay for the new one and be stuck with the old one.

But my luck was the place I bought it from told me just bring it back and I will fully refunded you. So worked out great got rid of crap and brought my gmpp.

I had paid for the resonator on my own it was cheap. So I said let's cut it open and see whats going on. Well were all shocked and dissapointed to see all the rockwool packing burnt out of it and nothing but a shell left behind.

I posted this to just give people a heads up that what you are paying for is junk.

I ran a borla pro xs muffler on a old car and after 200 thousand km it still looked and sounded like new. I kick myself everyday for giving into magnaflow and now my other car is being swaped from magnaflow to a full borla cat back.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hummm, I had a Borla once.......never again. Have installed Magnaflows on several different vehicles......I actually thought they got quieter with age/miles. Oh well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hummm, I had a Borla once.......never again. Have installed Magnaflows on several different vehicles......I actually thought they got quieter with age/miles. Oh well.
I think in certain applications they may be better. The real issue I think on the I5 motor is with having 2 cats in line that the exhaust gets way to hot and that is what really kills these mufflers. Now had I never towed with it it still may be ok to this day but when towing at 2700 rpm for long periods and then going up big hills and shifting into second gear running 4000 rpm it's just to much for the rockwool packing.

Downfall also is rockwool packing is only water resistant which is a bad choice for today's new vehicals as the cat are running hotter and creating more water vapor.

On a v8 motor it will run cooler but how much not sure. And they do get deeper but to a point. Once broken in this means the stainless wrap around the pipe looses up so then the packing will absorb the sound but after a few years or lots of miles as you see there is no packing left.

But sorry you did not like your borla. The biggest complaint people seem to have with borla is they are to quite of a muffler. Most people think because there vehical is loud it means more power.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to see what they call dual core. As far as I know magnaflow mufflers are built the same.

All borla mufflers are built with a straight perforated core.

Differance being the borla is all packed with 300 series stainless steel packing. And a ceramic packing around the outer core and the packing.

End of the day the borla is and always be better than magnaflow for long term performance and to top it off borla out flows the magnaflow muffler

To each there own but I will stay with borla.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hey look everyone this moron has now followed me over here from the canadain 355 site. Where he has been proven wrong about things he likes to post. Guess he want to come here to start more.

He has also spoke how James from supermodulations builds products that don't work like the port and polished t/b and the super sparks.

And as I stated magnaflow calls it dual core with strait through performance which it is clearly not strait through now is it. It also goes from a 3 inch inlet to a 2.5 inch dual core. So what I am trying to figure out is how it can be strait through performance which leads me to ask what magnaflow is trying to accomplish yet again.

All that muffler is a version of the stock muffler and a better version of a flowmaster muffler.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That goofy diagram above (post #11) is nothing more than the internals of a universal turbo muffler.......far from a Magnaflow or Borla internally. Magnaflow makes both single core AND dual core muffs. I don't think any of the Magnaflow vehicle specific catback systems have dual core muffs.......most folks want more noise than stock, when modding their exhaust, so Magnaflow catbacks use single core muffs.

The big dual core Magnaflow #12579 has 2, 2.5" diameter internal straight thru tubes, of which both tubes are surrounded by sound deadening material. That's why they r almost stock quiet and still maintain straight thru flow. If u want noise, the dual core straight thru Magnaflow is not your muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the goofy diagram is right from magnaflow website and showing a xl muffler setup.

Which is why I did not understand why you would go with it. As it is nothing more than a factory style muffler. Which is why it will still be quite but it won't flow much better than stock.

Now the picture you have shown I have seen that used with a single in dual out muffler. But I am trying to find a picture online of the muffler you have shown because if that is how they build it the yes it would flow good and aid in reducing noise at the same time.

If you find something let me know as this is interesting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've installed 2 of those dual core buffs on different p/u's. U can clearly see the "Y" in each end of the muff.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Didn't think we were talking about the Magnaflow XL "turbo" muffs.......thought we were talking about their straight thru stainless performance muff (post #2), no?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are but only pic I could find was the same as the posted pic.

But if you say they make that style muffler and it has worked for you and you like the sounds that's great.

But end of the day it is still a flawed design in the packing which will still lead to failure far before the borla product.

But thanks for the insite to somthing different.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
My Magnaflow has a bit of drone at 70mph........but I love it right now. I hope to have this exhaust last until I finally do a LSX swap

·
Registered
424 Posts
Don't see how u can say it's a flawed design.......one of those trucks I had with a dual core Magnaflow had 111K miles on the muff when I sold the truck. Fella that bought it test drove it twice and never asked what kind of muff.....my guess is he thought the muff was/sounded stock.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Most any single core straight thru muff will have some drone.......not the dual core. The one Borla muff I had a while back droned bad.......never again. I prefer nice-n-quiet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts