Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could happen to you... And make sure you tell them you're running the tune they put on your computer or they will not honor your warranty as I found out. No other damage was done I just need a new tensioner. If you're running more then 6psi you might want to upgrade your tensioner. Here is a link to the upgraded stronger one: Magnuson 31-12-00-082 Supercharger Tensioner Upgrade

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Holy shit that could go bad quick.

Lucky it didn't take anything else out with it

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Makes you wonder why they just don't sell the kit with the beefier version

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's 3.6 8psi
Dang, thanks for sharing, your basically running what they recommend.... and they did not offer to replace... sounds sketchy, how much difference can a tune make.... from the standpoint of forces on the tensioner.....

FWIW have had similar discussions with the manufacturer, less then what one would consider good customer satisfaction given the product is ~$6k, maybe they have really low margins/profit..... Assume you did not purchase the warranty....

Assume if the right company representative were to be involved you hope they would do the right thing and offer to replace and ship at no cost.....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Do you think Magnusun casts their own tensioner parts, or are they just putting a heavy spring in a stock tensioner? That tensioner arm really looks like a cheap Autozone replacement part.

Edit: With some research, it looks like they use Dayco (US made). Strange it failed like that.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Can you take a picture of the failure plane on both 'pieces'?

As Rich said, new parts should not fail like that. I suspect a bad casting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you think Magnusun casts their own tensioner parts, or are they just putting a heavy spring in a stock tensioner? That tensioner arm really looks like a cheap Autozone replacement part.

Edit: With some research, it looks like they use Dayco (US made). Strange it failed like that.
There are a lot of air pockets in the casting, it's bound to fail under stress.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Dayco has drastically dropped in quality on their tensioners. Honestly I think they got bought out or something and it is just the name now. For 2 different vehicles I have had 3 premature failures from the "No-Slack" line from them.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I put a Dayco om my S-10 4.3 years ago, it does not look like
that one, it's much beefier. the arm is solid not ribbed.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Dang, thanks for sharing, your basically running what they recommend.... and they did not offer to replace... sounds sketchy, how much difference can a tune make.... from the standpoint of forces on the tensioner.....

FWIW have had similar discussions with the manufacturer, less then what one would consider good customer satisfaction given the product is ~$6k, maybe they have really low margins/profit..... Assume you did not purchase the warranty....

Assume if the right company representative were to be involved you hope they would do the right thing and offer to replace and ship at no cost.....
Oh, there is a nice profit margin in there. They have long past recouped there R&D at this point in the game

New parts should not fail like that.
Agreed

I think Dayco might have a quality control issue. I have only ever bought Dayco's because they are a USA company. I've had one fail on my S10 and one on my 355. The one on the S10 appeared to have a spring failure, the one in my 355 the guide peg thingy on the back cracked.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts