Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been searching in an out with no luck (and only power locks come up in search) so sorry if this been up before...
so my 05 (my 06 had the same issue over time) outside door lock when putting the key in gives me a fight before unlocking. was wondering if anyone has this trouble and is it fixable?
thanx in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i havent tried lube..
had a new key cut bout 2 weeks ago, got the original put away for spare but now the new one is acting up also

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Sounds like it may be a little dry.

If you have any Silicone type spray or oil around, give the key a little squirt/drip and insert it and work it a few times. Repeat. Wipe off the key really good before you put it in your pocket or on your pretty living room tables.

You can also purchase a graphite based material meant for locks. Triflow works well if you have that. I actually used a silicone based oil (bicycle chain dry-lube) for some of my locks around the house. It spreads around nicely and evaporates away leaving just the silicone coating.

You do not need to get carried away with it, just enough to coat the parts.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
If lubricating the lock doesn't improve things it could also be that your lock cylinder is starting to wear out. Since your truck is about 10 years old, figure if you're unlocking your truck even just twice a day you're up to over 7500 key in/out cycles. Even though the keys themselves are brass, eventually that will wear the locking plates in the cylinder just enough to be out of spec.

Also, when you had the new key made, did you have it made from an unused original or one of your worn keys?

Also, being an '05, I assume you only have the one keyed lock. You can actually buy the parts (outside handle, latch, lock cylinder) and give yourself a keyed passenger door.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put some lube on it and seem to do the trick prob just going to have to keep up on it and see how far that gets me. Thanx for help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts