Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im needing to change to fluid in my trucks trans and every where ive checked has fluid that say gl4 and gl5 i was wondering if it would hurt the trans any thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
A quick Google check is not conclusive. Some sources say not to use GL-5 in transmissions. If you want to be absolutely sure, purchase the fluid from a Dealer. It may cost a couple of bucks more, but you only need 3 quarts and you won't be doing it that often. Someone who has a manual transmission will probably come by to provide more pertinent information.

The GM part number is 89021806. A quick search online shows it still available as GL-3

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Mobil 1 75w-90

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
To be safe get that manual trans fluid at the dealership. I read here a while back some guys complaining about the mobil 1.

·
Factory Fresh
1,898 Posts
How many miles is on yours ? I changed mine out at maybe 90-100k and it was still gold and i kinda regret changing it seeing it still so clean. But i put in ams oil in mine. Now ive got a noise from mine when i let off the gas at freeway speed. so if you can id buy factory fluid if you want to change it.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I changed mine 2-3 times. Never had a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts