Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have one? If so where is it and what kind is it?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the range of it isnt going to make a difference when n/a.. but what about boost? I am in the process of turboing my truck

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I know when im reading MAP pressure it ranges from obviously 0.0-15.0

Dunno if this helps but while idling I see around 4-7 and at WOT 14.5-14.9

I've read that 15.0 is the max atmospheric pressure so im assuming it would go over that under boost... so with that being known I dunno what the truck would do seeing 16+

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well my buddy thats helpin me said if i have a MAP sensor its probably only a one bar (one atmosphere) and that i would need a 2 bar (up to two atmospheres)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
well my buddy thats helpin me said if i have a MAP sensor its probably only a one bar (one atmosphere) and that i would need a 2 bar (up to two atmospheres)
Makes sense... seeing as like I said max pressure for 1 atmosphere is 15psi

I'd ask the other guys who are boosting what they did to get around this or what they bought. But thats kinda obvious...:mc:

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes sense... seeing as like I said max pressure for 1 atmosphere is 15psi

I'd ask the other guys who are boosting what they did to get around this or what they bought. But thats kinda obvious...:mc:
well thats also what this thread is here for lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
Zach:

Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.69psia.

Here in CO it is usually around 12psia depending on where you are.

Unless you are below sea level a reading higher than that is not true atmospheric pressure. There must be some inaccuracy in your sensor or there is some pressure building from running at speed. Assuming that the reading is actually accurate then it proves how there is help from the ram air effect you love to hate; and you aren't even set up for ram air. Lol.

Skizzo:

I never had to change my map out. My MAP should be seeing upwards of 19psia (when I was down in Houston it probably saw above 21psia). I have no problems but there is one change cataloged at cfans in the sts thread that had to be made. It was just for the MAF though.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zach:

Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.69psia.

Here in CO it is usually around 12psia depending on where you are.

Unless you are below sea level a reading higher than that is not true atmospheric pressure. There must be some inaccuracy in your sensor or there is some pressure building from running at speed. Assuming that the reading is actually accurate then it proves how there is help from the ram air effect you love to hate; and you aren't even set up for ram air. Lol.

Skizzo:

I never had to change my map out. My MAP should be seeing upwards of 19psia (when I was down in Houston it probably saw above 21psia). I have no problems but there is one change cataloged at cfans in the sts thread that had to be made. It was just for the MAF though.
wow really? and you have been tuned with your kit and all?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Well i'm at sea level... i'll give it a run later and see what she says exactly but yeah I see around 14ish @ WOT. I knew someone would come in here and nit-pick me giving out such percise numbers...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
on cfans they said the main thing that was done was set the maf fail to 45k instead of 15k.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on cfans they said the main thing that was done was set the maf fail to 45k instead of 15k.
can you do this in HPTuners? and what units is "15000" and "45000" in? (i take it thats what you meant with the K)

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
well i happen to glance at the other site and see my answer to this topic somewhat... in the "STS turbo" thread....

Question
XHR:
You have to change MAF error frequency up like 30k to keep from hitting reduced power mode. If you change that you don't have to run a MAP clamp.

Just:I thought it was 45k but yeah that is what Stocker2 found out when he compared the w2w file.

XHR:yeah, the error frequency was 30k over the OEM set number.

Just:Oh ok, so we are saying the same thing then, just different ways?
edit:
Do you get a code when running a/c in traffic, or just "putting" around? It clears itself too but it is annoying.
edit
and im an idiot.. because this was all already mentioned (and i had read it lol) earlier in this thread

reading retainment is > me

·
Registered
296 Posts
well i happen to glance at the other site and see my answer to this topic somewhat... in the "STS turbo" thread....

Question

edit
and im an idiot.. because this was all already mentioned (and i had read it lol) earlier in this thread

reading retainment is > me
:lmaow:

But yeah. That is all that should be needed.

Well i'm at sea level... i'll give it a run later and see what she says exactly but yeah I see around 14ish @ WOT. I knew someone would come in here and nit-pick me giving out such percise numbers...
You bring these things upon yourself. Lol.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
the only time you have to change the MAP is if the ECU is using the map to determine boost levels, for instance, a stock honda ecu does not recognize boost even though the MAP can, so when tuning a boosted honda all you have to do is "ADD" the boost fuel and timing tables to the ecu you are tuning, until you max out the MAP signal, but hondas are speed density cars, so they rely on the MAP for load values.

now with your chevy the ecu never needs to know there is boost or even tables specifically for boost as it uses the mass airflow meter (maf) to determine the amount of airflow. so tuning is done by creating more fuel at more airflow (boost) until the mixture is correct. the maf will still peg out and the computer will go nuts if the MAF error frequency isnt corrected.

basically short answer, dont worry about your map sensor.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I just think its funny how a thread got started here yet cfans came through and helped lol.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just think its funny how a thread got started here yet cfans came through and helped lol.
and it was answered by the same person... but no one said cfans doesnt have good information on it....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts