Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Craftsman and Lisle tools have pretty much all gone Asian on us. I'm to the point now where I think I have no choice but to start buying some professional grade stuff where there is a no shit warranty on what I buy.

I know Snap On is the mother of all tool brands and there is a reason....but that reason comes with a heavy buy in cost........trust I'm well aware of the you get what you pay for. I have worked in shops with nothing but Snap On and it was nice knowing......when I went to do the job....the tool did what it was supposed to.

MATCO.........honestly, no experience with them.

Cornwell, I have read alot about them, Made in USA company and their buy in aka prices are right in my price range. Their monthly fliers always have some good deals. The other perk is there is a local guy that sells here.

So, tell me what you think guys

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I have a few Matco tools there good really snapon or Matco

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
When Craftsman moved it's manufacturing to China, I started buying SK tools. Wright Tools are great US brand too. Knipex is my goto brand for pliers.

Be patient and wait for sales. Garage Journal's Deals section is an good source for good bargain on tools.

You can find good deals on eBay for used Snap-On and other vintage USA made tools. HJ Epstein is a great source for USA tools.

·
The LED Dude
5,876 Posts
Back when I was in college I worked as a mechanic and paid a weekly note on my snap on tools and they have been with me for over 30 years with no issues. They will likely be passed onto my son. They are the alpha. Matco is just as good but not as refined in terms of fit. Having said that, I would look at pawn shops and sales if you decide to go snap on as they are Are pretty expensive. I do own some Matco as backup wrenches etc and they have held up just as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tools are only as good as the people honoring the warranty. I've owned them all MAC, Matco, Snap-on, Cornwell

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have alot of matco tools their truck came to my work every week, a little pricey but bent the shit out of a prybar one time and they gave me a new one on the spot, but ive got mostly kobalt id say comparable but not pro grade, havent had any issues with either on customer service

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Honestly Jeremy with snapon you pay the price but you get excellent service if something happens to go wrong which is rare, and those tools will not only be yours but if treated right could go through multiple generations in your family.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
All I can say is praise The Lord. I started going to a&p school this semester and got a huge snap on discount through the school (40 cent on the dollar) and let me say they have never let me down. I love sitting in class and watching all the craftsman tools breaking. My advice is you get what you pay for, go snap on or go home.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Being a former tech, I like snap on wrenches for their comfort when pulling on bolts. Craftsman came out with their line to imitate snapon, and in the last 20 years or so I have snap on rachets and one set of standard and metric wrenches only. All the rest are craftsman, home depot, harbor freight ect.
I have a few snap on tork bits for the drain plugs on Mercedes torque convertors.
My advice, only buy what you need. They are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. And the ‘you get what you pay for’ saying is a big lie.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I keep running into situation where some nicer or special tools would make certain jobs easier.

I have talked with the Cornwell rep at a local shop..........I have not been able to track down a Snap On or Matco Reps yet

Thanks for the feedback thus far

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, snap-on tools are being made more and more thru the snap-on asian division, aka china....... A local shop bought new lifts thru snap-on. The shop owner bragged about his new snap-on "made in the usa" lifts right up until I showed him all the literature with chinese writing and the big "made in china" stamp on the steel uprights,........ talk about one pissedoff snap-on customer....LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts