Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two years ago I was plagued with a squeak-squeak chassis noise at low speeds.
I assumed it to be the leaf springs and kept spraying them with lube, which didn't help.

Someone here at 355 Nation :salute: suggested the cab-to-frame mounts and bingo! that was the problem.

I was in Milwaukee at the time and Nick at Hands-On Garage <link> helped me remove the mounts one at a time.

We found that the rubber mounts had a steel sleeve molded into them through which a large shoulder-bolt passes that ties the body to the frame.

The sleeve and bolt in each mount was corroded.
The movement up-down-up of the body caused the bolt to rub inside the corroded sleeve and cause the squeak.
We cleaned them up with a wire brush, slopped some lithium grease on the bolt and inside the sleeve and replaced them. Problem solved, no more squeak.

Except... one mount was so corroded that it would not come off.
This was the mount under the passenger-side floor just beside the kick-panel (under the glovebox).
We decided that it would require cutting with a torch, and since I didn't have a replacement body mount we left that one alone.

Now two years later I'm back in the Milwaukee area for a while where once again I have the damn fine services of Hands-On Garage.
So I wanted to pull that one mount and replace it.

What Nick found today was that the nut welded into the floor to which the bolt is threaded had broken loose, so turning the bolt just turned the nut without backing the bolt out.

Worse, the weld-nut was in a pocket welded under the floor.

It was necessary to use a TIG welder to cut out a 2-inch-square flap of the floor over the nut, then remove the old nut and weld in a new castle-nut, then weld the flap back into place. If I absolutely had to have someone take a TIG welder and cut a hole in my floor, there's no one I'd rather have do it for me than Nick. He's a class act and a damn capable mechanic.

The great thing is, that loose nut and the body-mount bolt were causing some chassis noise in the form of a small rattle when I crossed rough spots in the road, manhole covers, railroad tracks, etc at lower speeds. And I didn't realize that the noise was coming from there until now that it has been eliminated.
Now my truck sounds (chassis-wise) like new!!! :th_woot:.

What I want to pass on to 355 Nation is that it may be worthwhile preventive maintenance to pull those cab-frame body mounts one at a time and inspect them, then apply anti-sieze to the damn bolts!!! While you have them out I would strongly recommend also that you do what we did in '12 and lube the steel sleeve that runs through the center of the mount with lithium grease.

Don't let the body-mount bolts become so corroded that they won't remove without damage.

And thanks again Nick, Griff, Ryan, and Orlando at Hands-On Garage here in Milwaukee for helping me maintain and mod my truck. I couldn't do it without you!
Hands-On Garage.. Milwaukee's only full-service + self-service garage

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one pic.
I'll get it on in an hour or so.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Do you get snow on winter? do you live near to the sea?
Do you recommend this if I live in a place where cars can be rust free for about 10 years ?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you get snow on winter? do you live near to the sea?
Do you recommend this if I live in a place where cars can be rust free for about 10 years ?
I live in the southeast where there is very little snow and they do not use salt.
I travel however for my job and my truck has spent almost every winter in the north where they do use salt on the roads.
So the chassis is more corroded than it would be in a warm, dry climate.

Even so, I would suggest inspecting these bolts, regardless of your climate.
On my truck at least, it's clear they did not apply any sort of anti-sieze grease or coating to the bolts (where they thread into the body).
So in any climate they will eventually corrode at least a small bit.

If you are in Mexico (or if you were in the U.S. southwest) it probably isn't a concern, depending on how long you hope to keep your truck.

If I were there where you live but knowing what I know today I would probably take a look anyway, only because I now plan to drive my truck for years to come.
Depending on your access to a floor jack + jackstands or a lift you could chose to do one or two at a time if that better fits your schedule.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Thanks for the input rick! I´ll get some tools and some help to give an inspect to my 09, its gonna be 5 years old this summer.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the input rick! I´ll get some tools and some help to give an inspect to my 09, its gonna be 5 years old this summer.
Be careful and stay safe!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pics:
These are the interior after cutting the hole in the floor and welding in a new nut.
Unfortunately by the time I could get to my camera he had already sprayed primer on the nut.

The rusty surface you see in the background is a piece of old sheet-metal he used to protect my folded-back carpet as he was welding... it isn't part of my truck.

Nick placed a large thick washer down first, then welded on a castle-nut.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well that nut's not going anywhere.
The original nut was barely tacked-on as near as we could tell.
Hell, I would have expected a nut-plate at least 2 inches square welded to the floor rather than a simple small castle-nut.

That's why I posted this... so that anyone who wants to maintain his truck for the long haul will be aware that some preventive maintenance here could prevent the need to cut a hole in the floor.

Pulling those body mount bolts to apply anti-sieze is preferable to going through all this.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Nice post !!! Thanks !!!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice post !!! Thanks !!!
Just one of those things we're gonna come across going forward as our trucks age.

I've received so much from this community over the past few years, I'm really happy if I have anything at all of value to contribute.
:355group:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts