Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase the Hifonics ZXi 6006 amp with two MB Quart DWH 252 subs. Any body hear anything good about either of the equipment before i drop the money on it? I plan on making a full custom console that runs from the front of the cab all the way to the back with the two subs in it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Are you using the amp to power just the subs??

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the amp is gonna be for only the subs. I am possibly gonna get a 4 channel amp for the doors.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I personnaly would not go with a two channel for the subs. I would go with a good mono block and call it a day. Then for the doors go with a good set of components up front on a 2 channel and leave the back doors stock and run them off the deck. Or like mine get a 5 channel amp that you can bridge the 1/2 and 3/4 channels for the doors and have the 5th channel for the subs.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright then i def need some tech on this stuff. If each sub is 300watt rms 2ohm what rms and what ohm would i be looking for?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I guess it would all depend on what your looking for the outcome to be. But most mono block amps out now a day are stable down to 1 ohm. So with saying this if your stuck on using 10's you would need to look at a pair of 4ohm dual voice coil subs. That way you could wire them down to 1ohm at the amp.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well those subs come in 2ohm and 4 ohm but i heard if you were to run two it would sound better going 2 ohm but i have no clue ha, this is why i ask before i buy cause im a retard with this stuff. Would it be better to have 2ohm or 4ohm 10 inch subs and how many channel amp and how many watt. If it was you with a little budget what would you choose as your set up wanting to spend no more than 100 on each sub and 230 on an amp.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
well its not even a matter of DVC 2/4 SVC 2/4 its just all in how you plan on wiring. you can do 2 svc 2 ohm subs in parallel on that mono same as you could two 4ohm dvc subs. from my experience hifonics is a very good company for amplifiers and ive never heard anything bad about MB Quart, though they used to be pretty dang expensive IIRC.... check out www.ikesound.com for some great deals on audio/car stuff

id say the big thing is to make sure however you wire your subs, your amp is able to power them at the correct power level... [ie: 2 4ohm svc subs wired parallel that will take 300W RMS apiece would need an amp running 2 ohm stable and pushing 600W RMS at 2 ohm and overpowering for the most part, is better than underpowering as well]

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
on that amp wouldn't it be underpowering the subs? if each can take 500 watts wouldn't that equal to needing a 1000 watt amp?

·
Registered
893 Posts
No it wouldn't. You would be putting 500 watts across both speakers.

For instance my amp's specs look like this:

RMS Power 4 Ohms Stereo Ch 1-4/Ch 5 (4 ohms Mono) 14.4V 75x4/300x1
RMS Power 2 Ohms Stereo Ch 1-4/Ch 5 (2 ohms Mono) 14.4V 115x4/600x1
RMS Power 4 Ohms Bridged Ch 1-4/Ch 5 (1 ohm Mono) 14.4V 230x2/1100x1

The Bold is how mines wired. The 1100 X 1 for the sub makes no difference if I had one sub or two just as long as the impedence wasn't dropped lower than the 1ohm. If it was the amp wouldn't last long.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright those Type r's look sick too cause im going to have a see-through part on my console for the subs. Now the question is, would you choose sealed or ported? im leaning towards sealed because i heard it responds quicker?

·
Registered
893 Posts
How loud do you want it?????

It's not that it responds quicker it's just different. But sealed you can get away with a smaller enclosure. But again you'd need to check what is best for the sub your getting. Some subs are better in a sealed box and some are better ported.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i really liked those type r subs but i think im going to end up going with a little bit cheaper hifonics amp because i forgot i have to buy all the wiring and stuff which can get up there. What would you recomend with those? and im not really sure how i to build a ported box

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Well i really liked those type r subs but i think im going to end up going with a little bit cheaper hifonics amp because i forgot i have to buy all the wiring and stuff which can get up there. What would you recomend with those? and im not really sure how i to build a ported box
wiring should not come out to much money at all, main things if your going to spend money on something is RCAs IMO power wire/speaker wire/ ground arent that big of a deal between different companies. just make sure your power and ground wire are the same size (ie 4 g power, 4 g ground) and that your ground is securely connected to an unpainted metal surface

1 - 15 of 15 Posts