Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into ordering from them either the before axle turn down or single side but don't know which is better as far as performance and sound or maybe go with a different company. I have a 06 3.5 z71 4x4. Any suggestuons would be appreciated

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've had both - prepare for echo/drone with the pre-axle dump, sound bounces off ground up off your bed, kinda sucks inside cab.
The single side sounds better, if you can keep it together. My stainless steel MBRP fell apart, they did replace the muffler under warranty, which I sold later. On my 5th muffler right now, the one that survived anyway lol.
Process went like this:
1. Stock
2. MRBP-> broke after muffler
3. MRBP part two, axle turn down -> broke inside muffler
4. Thrush FM copy-> broke
5. Thrush FM copy-> broke again
6. Actual Flowmaster w/Silverado expansion flexjoint & MRBP tip- Current

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For exhaust sounds clips check here: http://www.355nation.net/forum/engi...ooking-exhaust-your-i4-i5-v8-listen-here.html

For performance there will be no notable difference with any cat back or muffler replacement. The only way you will see performance gains in the exhaust category is by removing the cats or adding a header. If you are interested in a header... look here:http://www.355nation.net/forum/engi...7481-so-you-looking-header-your-i4-i5-v8.html
Yeah I had already looked through both threads but couldn't really tell a difference between the sound clips so I was hoping someone that had one could chime in, just sucks that these trucks are so underpowered

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dam there's such a small market for our trucks and what is out there seems cheaply built lol I'm thinking of going with the gibson side swept cat back then since all of yours broke lol

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Yeah I had already looked through both threads but couldn't really tell a difference between the sound clips so I was hoping someone that had one could chime in, just sucks that these trucks are so underpowered
ahhh got ya. Honestly, it sounds like the guy above had some really bad luck. I had the same Borla SS turbo muffler on my truck for 8 years and never had any piping break. The muffler finally cracked after 8 years of DD use. I replaced it with the newer version of the same muffler.

·
DavidSweetLipsHoneyBaker
8,464 Posts
Agreed, I've had my MBRP for quite a few years now with no problems. Before axle dump will be pretty damn loud. My single side exit is very tolerable, not too loud, not too subtle. After it burns in, it'll get louder too.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Rust is most often found in poor winter climates with road salt. El Paso doesn't get much road salt does it? Rust is less likely.

Another cause of rust is the short trips. Moisture in the exhaust system sits there unless it's burned off regularly. If the truck is up to normal operating temperature then rust shouldn't be of concern either.

However, Tennessee doesn't seem like a corrosive salt state either though....
In Michigan I had a lot of rusty parts. In CA, my last exhaust system after 4 years had no rust problems.

I've heard a lot of horror stories from FlowMaster rusting. I went with Maganaflow (on my previous truck) because of their lifetime warranty. Never had a problem though (as I mentioned just above).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahhh got ya. Honestly, it sounds like the guy above had some really bad luck. I had the same Borla SS turbo muffler on my truck for 8 years and never had any piping break. The muffler finally cracked after 8 years of DD use. I replaced it with the newer version of the same muffler.
And I go offroading quite often so that's why I was looking into the before axle turn down model so it doesn't get all banged up. Just wish they would've at least put a v6

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rust is most often found in poor winter climates with road salt. El Paso doesn't get much road salt does it? Rust is less likely.

Another cause of rust is the short trips. Moisture in the exhaust system sits there unless it's burned off regularly. If the truck is up to normal operating temperature then rust shouldn't be of concern either.

However, Tennessee doesn't seem like a corrosive salt state either though....
In Michigan I had a lot of rusty parts. In CA, my last exhaust system after 4 years had no rust problems.

I've heard a lot of horror stories from FlowMaster rusting. I went with Maganaflow (on my previous truck) because of their lifetime warranty. Never had a problem though (as I mentioned just above).
Absolutely no road salt down here as it's bone dry year round, and the winter drops to maybe 20°. But from the sound clips I've heard, I'm between the mbrp, gibson, flowmaster and borla.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I had the MBRP cool duals cat back with a ss muffler on my truck for years, it was fine.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
And I go offroading quite often so that's why I was looking into the before axle turn down model so it doesn't get all banged up. Just wish they would've at least put a v6
I am not sure what v6 has to do with anything, unless you are saying for sound? My Borla is stainless steel and is dumped before the back axle. Same way it was setup with the original muffler too. Do note, it is loud and it does drone some. My exhaust dumps pretty much right under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not sure what v6 has to do with anything, unless you are saying for sound? My Borla is stainless steel and is dumped before the back axle. Same way it was setup with the original muffler too. Do note, it is loud and it does drone some. My exhaust dumps pretty much right under the passenger seat.
I've driven multiple vehicles with a v6 and they just seem to pull harder and accelerate a hell of a lot better than our i5

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
I've driven multiple vehicles with a v6 and they just seem to pull harder and accelerate a hell of a lot better than our i5
That isn't really an accurate comparison though because the difference can be due to weight, gearing, hp/tq output, power curve, etc that made the v6 vehicles you drove seem better. I respect your opinion and I am not saying the i5 is the best (it isn't). I just didn't understand what relevance your v6 comment had to do with finding an exhaust.

Want to wake your truck's i5 up a good bit on the cheap? Get a JTR shorty header (or even cheaper, gut your stock manifold cat for FREE!), PTB from supermod, make an intake, and get a tune. The tune ESPECIALLY if you have an automatic. WORLD of difference from the tune alone.

·
Registered
994 Posts
ahhh got ya. Honestly, it sounds like the guy above had some really bad luck.
Nope, just pure, unadulterated, I4 Atlas POWAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!
:lmaop:

in all honesty, I've never known a GM 4 cylinder that didn't shake like a chihuahua in the winter time. They rattle seemingly forever, I swear.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That isn't really an accurate comparison though because the difference can be due to weight, gearing, hp/tq output, power curve, etc that made the v6 vehicles you drove seem better. I respect your opinion and I am not saying the i5 is the best (it isn't). I just didn't understand what relevance your v6 comment had to do with finding an exhaust.

Want to wake your truck's i5 up a good bit on the cheap? Get a JTR shorty header (or even cheaper, gut your stock manifold cat for FREE!), PTB from supermod, make an intake, and get a tune. The tune ESPECIALLY if you have an automatic. WORLD of difference from the tune alone.
No relevance just thought a v6 wpuld be nice, that's all lol and I've been reading the forums like crazy so once I get bigger tires I plan on getting an exhaust, intake, headers and the performance package from supermod :th_woot:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts