Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 Canyon 3.5l crew cab. Bought a MBRP exhaust for it and within 3 years it rusted through in several spots. Exhaust was eventually replaced after some hassle. Now, 3 months later the replacement muffler has a terrible rattle during idle and acceleration. Out of warranty. So much for premium exhaust, regretting taking stock off.

MBRP said I could purchase a replacement muffler from one of their distributors, anyone have any info on that? At this point, think I'd rather not give any more money to them. Any other similar mufflers that will fit with their exhaust system?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
my magnaflow has a rattle at idle... ive had magnaflow on all my cars (more than 5) and this is the 1st time one fails on me.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
Did you buy Aluminized or Stainless from MBRP? I have a stainless turn down and It's been fine for years in Upstate NY salty winters.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you buy Aluminized or Stainless from MBRP? I have a stainless turn down and It's been fine for years in Upstate NY salty winters.
It's the installer series. Didn't expect it to last forever but longer than 3 years and a few months each would have been nice.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Alumnized steel will not last more than a couple years in the northeast. You're lucky you got that much time out of it.

Spend the extra money and get the stainless next time.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought the same MBRP as you 2-1/4 years ago. It was fine for the first 6 months then it started to rattle. I read a few forums here about the muffler before I purchase it and thought it might have been the clamps or lap joints so I've been using my stereo to overpower it. :eek3d:
Finally got a chance to go to the muffler shop to get the joints welded and ditch the clamps, but the tech banged on the muffler ,BANGZZzz, and said "that's what you're hearing" he said it happens to a lot of MBRP's. I gave him the old "you sure about that" he said he'd be happy to charge me for welding my broken muffler in, but didn't think i'd be happy to still hear the noise after he did. Haha.
I just emailed MBRP, we'll see how good their warranty and customer service is.
I'm in the same boat as the OP not sure if I even want another 2 year muffler, wish I had kept my stock on at this point. I don't think the $300 lighter wallet helped my mpg's and acceleration that much. Sounds great above 1300 RPM anything lower, not so much.
So I have the same question, what can I replace it with that's the same size?
<since I scrapped my stock exhaust already>
Thanks in Advance, i'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
You should have gone with the GM Performance Parts - Borla made factory fit stainless exhaust system because they have a lifetime warranty.

MBRP is just another fart can in my opinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure if the failure is build quality, design, or material related.
Nonetheless it was a waste of money.
I didn't imagine a $300 part would poop out that soon.
The GM performance parts exhaust was $600 when I was shopping.
The tech at the muffler shop said if they don't honor the warranty he recommends
a lifetime warrantied Magnaflow welded on for $180.
With the MBRP AND the Magnaflow i'm still $100 under the GM exhaust.
I guess that's a good point to anyone shopping for an aftermarket exhaust.
Spend a little bit more and it's done right the first time.
I heard the GM exhaust, and liked the sound of the magnaflow better.
Seeing as i'm on my third exhaust manifold, I figured I had contributed my fair share to GM for the year.
Love the forum though, good way to learn from each others mistakes and experiences.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Go to borlas website and type in colorado. They still have some cat backs left in stock and clearing them out for under $300.00.

Or just buy a borla pro xs muffler.

Run for the hills with magnaflow garbage product. I have pictures of there rotted rusty and blown out crap after 2 years and 80 thousand km.

And borla/gmpp no cab drone million mile warranty sounds great.

Magnaflow horrible life time warranty,cab drone even after adding a foot long resonator with both stock cats,rotted out rusty crap.

Here you can see the hot spots and the rusting where it will start to burn through.
Magnaflow = Garbage.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Guess I should have done more research on MBRP before I bought.
I did love the sound after it broke in, but before it broke off. LOL
I do have to add that I drive pretty hard and spend time off road, but that shouldn't matter.
Good news though.
I emailed pam at MBRP and sent her a copy of my ebay receipt for $280 to my door no tax.
She said she's sending me a new muffler next week.
I'm hoping the new one lasts longer than this one did.
Wonder if I can just keep having her send me a new one every 2 years, i'd be okay with that.
This exhaust did feel faster than stock <maybe cause my wallet was lighter and it improved my power to weight ratio>:ugh:
MPG's improved by about 1, so with the 20k I got out of the defective exhaust I saved about $235 so far. If I can get another 20k out of the next exhaust, then my money saving fart can plan will have worked out.:th_woot:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Update- UPS dropped off the replacement muffler at noon, had it installed an hour later.
No more rattle, hopefully this one lasts longer than 1-1/2 years.
Sucks it happened, but props to MBRP for taking care of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts