Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished changing out my plugs. Figured they needed it after 67,000 miles. This isn't the hardest thing in the world to do, but somehow after putting everything back together and starting up the truck is misfiring. I've gone back through and reseated everything and still have the problem.

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Damnit bob.... why didnt you call me? Check the connections make sure they are all the way pushed in. You could have damaged a plugs ground on the installation or possibly a faulty code?

Is the misfire being detected by the trucks sensors or do you hear it when you start the motor?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did check the gap. Don't have a torque wrench so I'm exactly sure about the spec. I did just tighten down everything a little more and I'm resetting the computer. I hope that does it. I can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Remember bob, it's quite a few turns to get them re-seated.

I go til there is resistance then push a little past it. Did you put anti-seeze on it? How much?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damnit bob.... why didnt you call me? Check the connections make sure they are all the way pushed in. You could have damaged a plugs ground on the installation or possibly a faulty code?

Is the misfire being detected by the trucks sensors or do you hear it when you start the motor?
There is no code. Just a "good shake" when I start it. I didn't call ya cause i figured you were working. Plus I used a rightup off the forum. Did seem all that difficult....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remember bob, it's quite a few turns to get them re-seated.

I go til there is resistance then push a little past it. Did you put anti-seeze on it? How much?
The plugs are seated, I didn't strip anything. I went until they were tight and gave about a 1/4 more turn.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Yeah i feel ya man the first time I did mine I didnt seat a plug correctly and it was clicking above 1200rpms. "Good shake"? Is the block shaking or is it felt in the truck?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see the block shake a little and can feel it in the truck. The idle is right on 750RPMS and it starts right up. Feels like only one plug is misfiring???

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
that sucks bro, when mine was misfiring it threw a code pretty quick (after a 2 mile drive) and told me the bad cylinder #. Only thing I can suggest is to pull them all and look to see if any has any damage... from there if you find on replace it and re-install. Sorry I can't help more but I can help you diagnose tomorrow if you'd like (i'm sure you need it for work)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, I'm gonna go pull everything out, check it and go from there. I didn't disconnect the battery for this...would that do anything?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I put the boot back on the plug, should I feel it "snap in"? Or Does that happen when I tighten it?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so I took everything off, reseated everything and I'm good now. I must not have had one of the plugs tight enough. I would like to torque them to spec. Zach, ya got a torque wrench?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
See... just needed to do it twice ;)

Nah but the torque specs arent to hard to meet. Isnt it some small amount like 14 or somethin?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, it's between 13-15.....Everything was fine this morning. Only thing I can figure is I just didn't tighten down one of the plugs good enough.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I bet one of the coils wasn't seated properly. Probably that #1 coil under that stupid wiring tray.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I bet one of the coils wasn't seated properly. Probably that #1 coil under that stupid wiring tray.
That or it was the first one he re-installed. I remember doing it the first time and I didn't put the first one I re-installed in correctly but the rest were perfect. It's something you gotta have the feel for IMO.

^ wow sounds kinda perverted if ya think about it :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
No One asks what kind of plugs? Ok well what kind of plugs did u put in there hope delco or ngk or denso cuz it will run like shit with ne others. Like the guy that came to my work a Chevy dealership with his 10k mile colorado and had me take out the platinum delco's to put it platinum autolites haha guess who came back 1 week later with a misfire. so we sold his dumbass some platinum delco's and fixed haha

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
The AC Delco Iridium stock plugs are the shit. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts