Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I lowered my Xtreme, I used the 2" balljoints and 2" blocks. It looked great, but it slapped axle in the rear and it was difficult to tow anything. (I should have gotten air shocks in the rear to begin with) I ended up selling the drop parts. I now have the craving again to lower it. But Ive never had air shocks and Ive read where if you run them at 0psi or maxed out all the time, they dont last as long. So my question is, if I get the MA762 shocks, will they work just fine while at stock zq8 height, and after I lower it. That way I can use the shocks no matter if I have my drop blocks in or not. Anyone have pics of MA762 shocks in their xtreme?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
I'm running them with a 3" drop on the rear

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
Yes they will work. When you lower the rear by using blocks, the shock length remains the same because you are raising the axle up from the spring perch. They require a minimum of 10psi at all times. Otherwise the air bladder wrinkles and gets damaged. If you run a constant load in the bed or are always towing, I suggest you get helper bags instead. I ran the air shocks on my ZQ8 with 700lbs in the bed and the year constantly bounced and slapped the frame.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus using the crappy AutoGuide.com free app

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they will work. When you lower the rear by using blocks, the shock length remains the same because you are raising the axle up from the spring perch. They require a minimum of 10psi at all times. Otherwise the air bladder wrinkles and gets damaged. If you run a constant load in the bed or are always towing, I suggest you get helper bags instead. I ran the air shocks on my ZQ8 with 700lbs in the bed and the year constantly bounced and slapped the frame.

I don't tow much anymore, but once in a while ill haul a fourwheeler, or tow my small 19' boat to the river. Other than that its mostly empty, maybe a small toolbox and little crap in it. The shocks come with the airline so i can mount the nozzle to the rear bumper to air up and down?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Yeah I have a ZQ8

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
I don't tow much anymore, but once in a while ill haul a fourwheeler, or tow my small 19' boat to the river. Other than that its mostly empty, maybe a small toolbox and little crap in it. The shocks come with the airline so i can mount the nozzle to the rear bumper to air up and down?
They do come with the air line and Schrader valve

·
Registered
504 Posts
i have mine lowered 3" with blocks, and run 40 psi so theats a total of 20 psi i both shocks, i dont really tow with this truck when i had my s10 i had the same air shocks and pulled a 5x10 open trailer with a 50" zero turn mower and they did fine. the s10 had the same drop on it as the truck i have now. witch is a 3/4. and the truck i have now is a zq8.

ok so im not running the monroe's. but the gabriel hi jackers.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i think that means you have 40psi in both shocks? it doesn't split the 40psi, since its a connected system; all connected air space is at 40psi (you have one schrader valve correct?)

just^ my understanding, i could be wrong.

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think that means you have 40psi in both shocks? it doesn't split the 40psi, since its a connected system; all connected air space is at 40psi (you have one schrader valve correct?)

just^ my understanding, i could be wrong.
Yea I think thats what he meant.

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone ever hooked a small air tank and compressor to their monroe air shocks? Im thinking about getting a small one gallon tank, a small compressor, and custom making a gauge pillar while Im at it. That way I can raise and lower the truck as I need without going under the truck.

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
I was going to but they use a tiny 1/8" line. I ran the Schrader valve to my license plate so I could easily inflate/deflate the shocks

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You get 'em on yet? Bummer I missed Melrose. I hate my job...
Yea I got them on. It was pretty easy, took me 20 mins to do. Ran the air line and mounted the schrader valve. I only have about 30 psi in them for now. I'm putting the drop blocks on today so I can play with the air after the blocks are in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yea I got them on. It was pretty easy, took me 20 mins to do. Ran the air line and mounted the schrader valve. I only have about 30 psi in them for now. I'm putting the drop blocks on today so I can play with the air after the blocks are in.
30 was good for me, but I'd still slap occasionally. Hitting dips on the highway was a bit violent, too. I keep mine at around 40 with the 2" blocks, now. 55-65 when people go in the back seat.

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
30 was good for me, but I'd still slap occasionally. Hitting dips on the highway was a bit violent, too. I keep mine at around 40 with the 2" blocks, now. 55-65 when people go in the back seat.
Yea I can't wait. I'm doing 2" blocks today, and 3" blocks once it gets notched in about a week.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So, you guys with ZQ8 suspensions were bottoming out with a 2 inch drop in the rear? I'm glad I ordered the 1 inch with the half inch block in addition to to my 2 inch drop. I love lowered vehicles, but hate bottoming out rubbing tires.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So, you guys with ZQ8 suspensions were bottoming out with a 2 inch drop in the rear? I'm glad I ordered the 1 inch with the half inch block in addition to to my 2 inch drop. I love lowered vehicles, but hate bottoming out rubbing tires.
Yes & no. 2" was a bit ambitious for the rear, with the factory KYB shocks. I yanked all my bumpstops, so I would actually slap my fender flares on my tires. A set of Airshocks + an electric pump corrected that, also allowing me to adjust ride height/firmness.

The only issue with the front was rubbing on the driver side. I narrowed this down to the "chevy lean". A 3/4" spacer on top of the coil leveled me out, and no more rubby!

I'm thinking about Belltech Sways next. Do we know if they still require welding on the ZQ8?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts