Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was browsing Jeepforum when I found a 60 page thread FILLED with monstaliner pics. I was on the fence about getting monstaliner when I have the money, I'm all in now. Near endless pics of monstaliner, with tons of colors!!

And what do you know second post in, onelow1ton has his awesome truck posted.

Monstaliner interiors and exteriors

Having testimonial threads here would be a great resource, it would shave a lot of research time. This was too good not to share.

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
Great idea! I recently did my bed, and so far I'm happy with the out come. Of the people that I've shown it to, they all say it turned out and looks great. I purchased the standard black 1 gallon kit.

Obviously I have the 5' bed, but the 1 gallon kit would have been plenty for the regular 6' bed. It seems pretty durable though I haven't hauled anything to test it. My only advise is to either order an extra roller applicator (kit comes with 2) or thin the mix out good before the second coat. The first roller is only good for the first coat. I thinned the mix out before the second coat, but it was still thick enough to tear up the second roller quickly and leave small pieces in the liner. If I had another roller or thinned it more I could have made it look more evenly applied. It was a good weekend project though, and I'd do it again rather than paying 4x as much for a Rhino or Line-X.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Great idea! I recently did my bed, and so far I'm happy with the out come. Of the people that I've shown it to, they all say it turned out and looks great. I purchased the standard black 1 gallon kit.

Obviously I have the 5' bed, but the 1 gallon kit would have been plenty for the regular 6' bed. It seems pretty durable though I haven't hauled anything to test it. My only advise is to either order an extra roller applicator (kit comes with 2) or thin the mix out good before the second coat. The first roller is only good for the first coat. I thinned the mix out before the second coat, but it was still thick enough to tear up the second roller quickly and leave small pieces in the liner. If I had another roller or thinned it more I could have made it look more evenly applied. It was a good weekend project though, and I'd do it again rather than paying 4x as much for a Rhino or Line-X.
Just from the looks of that has me overly convinced to do to as well. Way cheaper.

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
Just from the looks of that has me overly convinced to do to as well. Way cheaper.
Give it a shot, it's not a hard job and you will feel like you accomplished something :th_s52:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow, I haven't seen any pictures of it as a bed lining before but that makes me want to take out my plastic insert and monstaline it in the spring. I would just be concerned with how well it holds up but I dont use my bed too much anyways. The main point I like is being able to just hose all the dirt off easily and not having water and crap get under the plastic liner I have now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks good. How many hours did it take for you do do this? How much prep of the box? And, from looking over the Monstaliner website, this is a job that requires good ventilation, right? In other words, not in MN in the winter.

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
Looks good. How many hours did it take for you do do this? How much prep of the box? And, from looking over the Monstaliner website, this is a job that requires good ventilation, right? In other words, not in MN in the winter.
If your question is directed toward me, then thanks, and it will take a good weekend. The prep is whats important. I probably over did it by starting the scuffing process Friday night, and scuffing and cleaning a bunch on Saturday. I went over it again Sunday morning before actually applying the liner. All in all, I scuffed the entire box at least 5 times, but it was probably good after 2-3 times. Have a friend or two help to speed up the process.

After prep work is done, clean one final time and start applying. It took me less than an hour per coat (2 coats), with about two hours between coats. I did have a couple helping hands during application which was almost needed, but not necessary. The directions supplied with the kit will cover everything else important for doing it.

I wouldn't recommend trying it during winter, though it can be done according to the website. It will take longer to cure in low humidity, colder conditions. I felt like I was taking a risk by applying it with mild autumn southern weather. But I'm 100% satisfied with the outcome so far! Hope this helps anyone wondering

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks BlackZQ8, just the hands on info that I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Any long term fading on the Jeep site?
and... how does it hold up for rocker panels?
Seems perfect for that. Does it maintain the color well or does it stain over time?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I ordered the color sample kit from Monstaliner. I backed into a tree in my yard (long story), and ran the back bumper into the back quarter of the bedside, below the tailight. I plan on fixing the spot and doing monstaliner along my rocker panels, from the trim down. I'm also going to pitch the bedliner and do the inside of the bed. I'd like to do the bumpers and nerfbars as well - but i'm not sure if it will stick to the chrome on our bumpers. Has anyone tried? I'm also going to cut out and replace the rocks on my Dad's 2003 Sierra 2500 crew - and plan to do the monstaliner on the rockers of it. I am curious about the colors and how fade resistant they are. I used to install rhinoliners years ago... and i can't say anything positive about it. It was a decent product, but it didn't seem to hold it's color very well. I also thought that it was to rubbery. Perhaps they've changed the formula since then (been about 12 years).

·
252,000+ Miles
1,316 Posts
I have the old rhino product in my bed and Monstaliner in black and pyroclastic on my body.

It's pretty UV stable in black, seems to have zero fade in the pyroclastic. Doing another coat of black this year, but it holds dirt too (compared to paint) so it'll be hard to tell what is fade and what is ground-in dust and dirt and grime. MEK wipes only get the surface clean to prep for the next layer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My monstaliner on the sides on my Silverado have no fade since September. Ensure you prepare the bumpers really well, mine peeled off after rough sanding my bumpers for hours

1 - 20 of 30 Posts