Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a Rancho 4" lift installed. I am sitting at 39 1/4" FTG. I have skyjacker AAL's waiting to be installed to bump the back end up. they are 2" leafs. My plan is to adjust the Tbars accordingly so the truck sits level, maybe a tad higher in the front, 1/2" or so. the shop is telling me i will need a longer drive shaft, and that it will more than likely hit the cross member. anyone have any clearance issues doing AAL's with a suspension lift?

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
I am very close to the X member. .. I did have to extend my drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Just an FYI: For more accurate front end information, you'll need a measurement from the hub to fender. I know this thread is a rear lift question though.

I think you gave a floor to fender dimension? That number is inaccurate for torsion bar lifting as the size of tire varies the ground up dimension, but not a hub dimension.

Also, when the truck sits level, the rear fender measures 3/4" less than the front. So don't let your fender measurements dictate your lift height, entirely.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an FYI: For more accurate front end information, you'll need a measurement from the hub to fender. I know this thread is a rear lift question though.

I think you gave a floor to fender dimension? That number is inaccurate for torsion bar lifting as the size of tire varies the ground up dimension, but not a hub dimension.

Also, when the truck sits level, the rear fender measures 3/4" less than the front. So don't let your fender measurements dictate your lift height, entirely.
Ah, I see why the hub to fender measurement is what everyone uses. Thanks. I'll have to go measure.

So stupid question, how do I lengthen my driveshaft? Or do I need a new one entirely?

·
Registered
376 Posts
You'll have to have a specialty shop lengthen it. It won't be cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Right a shop does it. They weld on a piece possibly (unless they start over), but then they will also rebalance it.

I don't know how you measure for it though. I think you have to measure the current distance between the yolks and take it to a shop and they make the drive shaft the correct length.

That's all speculation on my part, those with extended drive shafts should provide better information.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i doubt you will need a new driveshaft.. im running a true 4" lift in the rear on stock driveshaft with no issues. its real close to the cross member, thats for sure.

others on here are running the same setup your thinking of running with no issues.

i could be wrong though, for some reason every truck seems to be a little different.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info all!! Guess I'll know for sure when the leafs go on. If I have to add a new DS, well it's the price you pay when you play. Right!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts