Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Colorado starting throwing the codes P0351 (Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction) and P0301 (Cylinder #1 Misfire). I'm at a complete loss at what may be causing this, I have switched the #1 coil with the #2 coil and the misfire did not follow the coil. The problem seems to be getting progressively worse the more I drive the truck, as it is my daily driver it gets driven 50 miles a day. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this or anything I could try to do to figure out what needs to be replaced?

:salute:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Try changing the plug(s). If that doesn't help it could be a legitimate engine problem. Next step would probably be a leakdown test.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plugs only have around 10,000 miles on them. Is it possible for a single plug to go bad, should I try switching plugs with another cylinder to see if it follows?

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Plugs can fail, although it's not common at all. Pull them all and inspect them and if they look ok, swap the plug to a different cylinder.

If you're still misfiring on cylinder 1, get a leakdown test and play cylinder head roulette. If the misfire follows the plug, replace that one sparkplug.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I will do that and let you guys know if i make any progress.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Could be a plug or a gummed up injector.

Depending on the plugs too. I have found the Denso Iridium (part # ITV16) and NGK Iridium to be the best plugs for these motors.

The bad heads were mainly an 04-07(early) issue that was resolved prior to the 08-12s

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Some good injector cleaner in the gas and clean the throttle body....these sometimes can clear up the minor misfires

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Or seafoam the top end of the engine. Beer bong the shit straight in the intake, see the How-To on it. That would probably help more than anything honestly. Dump the rest of the can in your gas tank.

Oh and put a little anti-seize on your spark plug threads. You'll thank me 60,000 miles later.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Or seafoam the top end of the engine. Beer bong the shit straight in the intake, see the How-To on it. That would probably help more than anything honestly. Dump the rest of the can in your gas tank.

Oh and put a little anti-seize on your spark plug threads. You'll thank me 60,000 miles later.
Damn that was the other thing I was going to add, but forgot mid-stroke.......Josh is in with the assist

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Haha, there's also a seafoam spray that's new that makes it easy to do the intake. It has a flip out straw thing like WD40 and you can spray it right in without taking half your intake apart. Just loosen the hose clamp in front of the resonator box so you can push the little straw in, and hammer on it while the truck is running.

If you've never seafoamed your truck, it needs it. Just check out the how-to, it's super easy.

Oh, and a throttle body cleaning will help too. There's a how-to for it as well, our throttle bodies are notorious for getting nasty and if yours has never been cleaned, i guarantee it needs it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately I did all of that when the problem first started, I bought two cans of sea foam one went to the gas and the half of the other went to the upper, I also cleaned the throttle body but it wasn't that dirty considering I had done that 10,000 miles ago when I did a tune up. This is why I am at a complete loss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts