Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the 2.9l 4 cyl and of course I'd like a better exhaust note, but I don't have sufficient funds to go all out on an exhaust system right now. So my solution is an aftermarket muffler. The problem is that it's hard to make a 4 cylinder sound good. I don't want a ricey fart can. So anyone have any advice on which direction I should lean toward?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Magnaflow was always my first choice with 4 cylinders. I used to run one on a 2.4L 4 cylinder in my old car and it was a little ricey but not anywhere near as bad as the other brands I came across on other cars with the same engine.

Borla also normally have a good tone as well, but much more expensive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If it still has both cats, I would say Hooker Aerochamber, or Cherry bomb Elite. The Flowmaster super 50 made my 2.9 sound fucking awesome, but fell apart in about a year, so I wouldn't recommend that. The Aerochamber was not too far behind in sound and is extremely well built. Any of the straight through mufflers sound like rice to me. The ones I mentioned do not.

Look here

http://www.355nation.net/forum/engi...ooking-exhaust-your-i4-i5-v8-listen-here.html

·
Registered
681 Posts
So I have the 2.9l 4 cyl and of course I'd like a better exhaust note, but I don't have sufficient funds to go all out on an exhaust system right now. So my solution is an aftermarket muffler. The problem is that it's hard to make a 4 cylinder sound good. I don't want a ricer fart can. So anyone have any advice on which direction I should lean toward?
go with a hush-power muffler get the shorty version it has a nice deep sound not to loud so no horrible in cab drone, iv had this setup for 2 years on my truck and love it iv had 4 previous exhaust mufflers over various brands and this one is my favorite here is a link so you can locate the item if interested i also have a youtube sound video of my exhaust. https://www.google.com/search?q=hus..._jsASB-4CICw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1280&bih=887

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I run a Flowtech "Red Hots" It has a really good deep tone to it !! I bought it at Advanced Auto for bout 30 bucks. Couple of members have heard my 2.8 ... Maybe they will see this and chime in and confirm what it sounds like...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used to run a Thrush in my 3.5 Collie. Good tone, but the interior drone got old quick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts