Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the past 2-3 weeks I had a bunch of warning lights pop up on my 2010 Colorado. I'll list them out in detail, and if you guys have any insight or ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

- Brake fluid warning: The word FLUID shows up, along with the brake light and a chime. It tends to only pop up during a hard brake (into a turn or a stop), but is showing up more frequently now. I checked my fluid level and it is definitely above the min mark, close to full. The previous owner had the brake pads replaced, rotors resurfaced, and calipers cleaned/serviced 2 years ago. A mechanic friend looked at my front brake pads and said they looked new, and when I had all 4 tires replaced a week ago, the mechanic checked all the brakes and cleared them as fine. I'm leaning toward this either being a problem with the sensor or a code read error. No leak as far as I can tell. I have noticed no change in the function of the brakes since I got the truck back in January. I can stop just fine, and the brake isn't spongy and can't be pressed to the floor. Mechanically it checks out, but the warning light comes on every time I drive.

- Seat belt warning light and chime: Stays on after seat belt is secured and acts like it's not latched. Belt clicks and holds just fine. It tightens when I stop or move suddenly like it's supposed to. I didn't pull up the carpet, but all the wiring directly beneath the seat seems to all be fine. No loose or frayed wires.

- Traction fault service stabilization system: The warning TRACTION FAULT SERVICE STAB SYS shows up in text above the mileage, and the TCS symbol light stays illuminated. This has just started coming up randomly, and comes on after I've already been driving for a bit. It doesn't show up every time I drive. It also didn't show up until after I had my tires replaced (the previous two warnings showed up a week or two before the new tires were mounted). Again, doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on how the truck operates. It's been responding to me just fine and doesn't pull or sway at all. Not sure if it's relevant, but the tires I installed are a little bigger than the previous ones (upsize from 225/70/R16 to 235/70/R16).

I just reset my TPMS today since they didn't do it at Pepboys and finally got that warning to clear out thankfully. But the other 3 warnings have me stumped. Haven't scanned the truck computer for error codes yet but I plan on having it looked at. It runs great, but I'm just tired of getting assaulted by beeps and boops while I drive. I mentioned the issues to two different guys I work with, and both said, "It's a Chevy". Thanks guys, that helps lol.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Could be your grounding pack on the passenger side fender in the engine compartment. Those are notorious for failing on these trucks and a poor ground will drive your electronics crazy. Good news is.....it's an easy fix. There is a good "How to" written up on it on here. If I can find it I will post a link......time to test the search function on the new format.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a link to my thread in 2014 when I dealt with a similar problem: https://www.355nation.net/threads/electrical-gremlin.132873/#post-3500273 Scroll down and you will see another link to the How-to that I used to repair it. Was quick and easy and it has now been trouble-free for over 5 years and 100,000 additional miles.
Thank you for the response! I never would have thought of checking the grounding packs. I was hoping that would be the source of my problems, but unfortunately I think I have to rule it out. I checked both grounding packs (driver's side and passenger's side) and they're firmly attached to the inner sides of the truck's engine bay. They aren't floating, and the wires are connected. I also checked the splice pack under the glove and that seemed fine as well.
I also borrowed an OBD-II sensor from a friend and scanned my truck for error codes, and was really surprised that it didn't detect any. These warning lights are going off all the time now as soon as I start my truck and I'm so stumped as to why.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts