Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another forum and was encouraged by a member to also post it here.

I have had my ccsb z71 now for about three weeks, it is fantastic, really like the truck.

I wanted to make a few improvements so first I installed the Bakflip VP, which took like 30 min. Really like the smooth vinyl surface over a hard fold up system. Able to lockup tools or whatever by locking the tailgate and keep them out of sight and somewhat safe.

Then, since none were available, built a headache rack out of some 2" square tubing, that took some time mostly because of my welding skills are lacking, but good at a grinder. Now I can lean the ladder or lumber against it and tie it down, I also built it so the tonneau would fit between and fold against it. Installed a tekonsha brake controller, pretty straight forward, not to many places to attach so it is located just above parking brake, away from knee scraping spots. Finally built a couple of doo-hickies to put in the bed so I can haul some plywood. The front one sits on the wheel wells indents, the back one slides into place and fits tight against the back, used 2 inch square tubing left over from the other project. Ends on the rear are 2x6 with a 3 inch radius cut to fit tightly against the edges of the bed then put a couple braces to keep it from rolling Rear tie downs are just below the 8" height of the cross beam to help hold even one sheet down. - should work nicely with ratchet straps - big fan and since I am no sailor, I don't have to figure out some fancy knot to keep the load in place. Home Depot here I come.....need some 4x8 birch ply.

My truck has nav but snuck out of the factory without Bose - even tho I had ordered it with the speakers. I suspect they ran dry of parts. No a deal killer but annoying because now I have to upgrade the speakers later. I took the center dash pan off to look below to see maybe the wires for the center sub were below, no luck. Need more info to figure out head unit, amp, wiring. Did pull door panels off an determined fronts are 6x9, backs are 6.5 round. Now on my Santa wish list are new speakers and the 2" tall speaker adapters, I will install them soon after I get them. The stock speakers are ok once the tone adjustments are made but I still think the lows are a bit flat. To me, it will be worth the effort to change the speakers out, then will check to see if I need an upgraded amp or not.

I also plan to do some headlight testing, have a lux meter and want to test stock halogen light brightness and spread, compare it to LED, and HID's, not only for brightness but also for glare.

Here are a few pics showing progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Glad to see you made it over. :thumbup:

The rack turned out great and I think I may steal that idea for the bed when hauling plywood...

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Welcome to the party and thanks for coming over to share :thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good looking truck and like the mods. Head rack came out nice to. Did you powder coat that?

Also welcome to the 355nation X :welcome2:
No powder, I got in a hurry and had a quart on black semi-gloss sitting on the shelf.

Thanks all for the compliments, did spend some time planning although if I was doing the headache rack again I would lower the bottom tube down about 2inches, it would look better I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts