Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would try to make a build thread to keep everything together and try to get some more ideas and feedback.

First some back ground on the truck:
On 12-9-2014 I traded in my 2004 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L V8 Extended Cab 2WD for my 2012 GMC Canyon SLE 3.7L I5 Crew Cab Z71 4x4. It had 29,426 miles on it when I bought it.

Here it is still on the lot

My Sierra and my Canyon sitting next to each other

Finally getting home (day 1)

Within the first week I did a few small "mods" like added a steering wheel cover, bought a power inverter, and an FM modulator since there was no AUX plug in. Then changed out the filter to a K&N air filter.

Over the next week or two, I removed the "SLE" badge from the tail gate, plasti dipped the front and rear badges, tinted the windows 20% all around, ordered a 3D Superman emblem for the rear tail gate, and ordered a specialty license plate.

Left the Chrome Trim.

Left the Chrome Trim showing to match the front.

Next I took the truck down to New Orleans (to visit friends and family) and took it to play in the mud a little for the first time.

Next I ordered a hand gun mount from Gum Creek.

Took it to get a spray in bed liner from Bullet Liner.

After the bed liner was installed I put in a swing case tool box on the left side of the bed.

Next project I saw on this site and loved it, so I decided to try it myself. I installed Amber LED side marker lights under the cab. (this is my favorite install!)

Next was some more Superman decals on the front windshield.

Then a Garmin GPS I had hardwired.

So this is where it now sits after the first 2 months. The next thing on the list (already ordered, just waiting for it to be delivered) is White LEDs under the bed rails hooked to a mercury tilt switch in the tail gate (also an idea I found on this site). The next few items on my list after that will take a little while to save up some more money. (probably closer to the summer)

Up Next:
- Suspension Maxx 1.5" Body Lift
- Suspension Maxx Keys
- Suspension Maxx Shackles
- Suspension Maxx Rear Shock Extensions
- AAL
- Replace all shocks with Rancho
- Ball Joint Flip

I have a long list going already for future mods, but I am always up for different ideas and feedback.

Just Some of my Ideas for the Future:
- 17x8, 17x9, or 18s maybe? XD Series Spy Rims with 33" tires
- Some kind of side step (not sure what I want yet, but I would like something different)
- Dual Exhaust with black tips
- K&N cold air intake
- E-fan
- Alpine double din screen
- JL 8W7 in custom box in the back
- Some sort of Bull Bar or Brush Guard on the front (not sure what I like yet...)
and much more....

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
hey man, what gun are you packing and what gun mount is that?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it a lot. I was worried about it getting in the way, but it really doesn't and it is very convenient and gives easy access to the gun.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last week I got my LED strip in the mail for under the bed rails. Installed them the over the weekend and put them on a mercury/tilt switch in the tailgate. While I was at it, I decided I didn’t like the factory antenna height, so I cut the antenna down a little bit. Took about 10 inches off to make it level with the roof. I don't have any pictures yet, but I will get some up later in the week.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here are the pics from my install this past weekend:

First a before and after of the antenna

and the LEDs under the bedrails which are on a mercury/tilt switch in the tailgate

and here is how I ran the wires from the tailgate to the bedrails

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess some of the pictures from my first post weren't showing either, they should all be up now...

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a real nice lookin truck; the tailgate operated bed lights & gun mount are great idea.
Thanks! The tailgate operated lights I saw somewhere on this site (can't remember where or who had it) and the gun mount I found just searching around online.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! I was in the same position as you, I was going to take them off, but came across this. I had never heard of doing the Plasti Dip on the emblems before, so when I did, I had to try it! Its really easy and looks great! I think it may look even better on a yellow truck.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I wish I could carry my Glock in the truck :hulk:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts