Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the forum, Ive started cutting holes in my truck :mc:

Does anybody have any recommendations on filters? not sure I like TrueFlow foam..

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
i did the same thing several months back... question did you get you banner?

·
Another day.....
2,704 Posts
Ragtop i got the same CAI right now i am using stock filter the foam filter is over oiled and truck just barely idle`s i got to clean it and re oil it. I guess you can use a aem or even a kn filter or just run stock. Gm has a black filter for it to. I am clueless to at the moment debating if this foam filter is any good!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking setup!!:355:
Thanks!

Ragtop i got the same CAI right now i am using stock filter the foam filter is over oiled and truck just barely idle`s i got to clean it and re oil it. I guess you can use a aem or even a kn filter or just run stock. Gm has a black filter for it to. I am clueless to at the moment debating if this foam filter is any good!

Ya.. I may go try a K&N. Mine isnt over oiled, just havent had the best luck with foam in the past.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I'm running a similar setup. I'm using a K&N RF-1048 (I could be wrong on the part #) on a Blox velocity stack. I'm happy with the overall results. The filter is kind of big, I had to cut off the tabs that hold the stock filter in place on the airbox lid.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
YAh with the factory airbox I had to cut the lil tabs too...Then i decided to just cut all the lil fins in the airbox moohoohahha...now i have no airbox:(

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YAh with the factory airbox I had to cut the lil tabs too...Then i decided to just cut all the lil fins in the airbox moohoohahha...now i have no airbox:(
Ha! Thats about where Im gong to be.. I'm using an "el Cheapo" filter now.. we'll see.

Oh.. nice hood! saw it today while I was driving down gilman.. wOOt..

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
YOu didnt come say HI! HOW DARE YOU!? hahaha Im sittin here all alone...just like every sunday...playing mini golf on 355! I had a few girls come in and just talk to me for a minute which is always nice but other than that...so bored....Oh man new filters only like 40$ or somethin like that.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YOu didnt come say HI! HOW DARE YOU!? hahaha Im sittin here all alone...just like every sunday...playing mini golf on 355! I had a few girls come in and just talk to me for a minute which is always nice but other than that...so bored....Oh man new filters only like 40$ or somethin like that.
Sorry.. I'll stop in some time.

Ragtop keep me in the loop i have a similar problem.
You keep your lid on or off it look`s like it is on?
Will do. I run with the lid on.. mainly cause my cold air would be pointless with it off.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
who has the numbers - where do you get the most inprovement from ?
old man

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
The biggest improvement is probably going to be from ditching the stock resonator box, it's fairly restrictive and I believe it's about a 10hp gain from that alone. Replacing the stock filter with a K&N or other quality high flow filter should be good for another 5-6hp or so. I read a thread on an H3 forum the other day and a guy on there had his H3 dynoed stock, with a resonator delete pipe, and with a drop in K&N. I think the combined gain from the pipe/filter was about 17hp. That was on a 3.7L though.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
when i used an oiled filter it threw codes. Cleaned the filter oiled it and let it sit for a whole day. Thats why i went with the brute force, oilless filter.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I've had an oiled filter on my truck for 30k + miles without a single problem. :shrug:

·
NW Surfrider
5,365 Posts
So is it worth buying the K&N, AEM, high end CAIs? or will something that i assemble from piece like the kits they have at csk, where you build your own cai be just as good. I ask because the highend kits costs 200$ and i can build my own for less than 100$.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts