Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I'm ABSOLUTLY PUMPED about this!!!

As many of you know, I'm going to school to become an Air Traffic Controller. The school in PA that I got accepted into requires you to have your Private Pilots License, but not all the schools do this, just this particular one. And it's a good idea actually. That way the controllers have a better understanding of the pilots perspective.

Now, if you wait to get your license at the school it's ALOT more expensive than if you got it on your own. So there's a little airport/community about 25 mins from me that I'm getting my pilots license at. I say community because the members of this place have a blast together. They have pig roasts, group flights to whereever(kinda like a convoy in the sky!) the building has a movie room with a projection screen and like 15 leather recliners, 2 hot tubs, a "Tiki" room with 2 bars, Pilot's Store, and much more! SO it's gonna be sweet to be a part of that.

We took a tour of the place a few weeks back and the instructor advised me to come out for an Intro Flight, just to make sure that I wouldn't get up there and completly freak out! Cause that has happened. So I went this past wednesday. HOLY SHIT!!! I can't even describe how much fun it was! And I didn't even know what to expect, but I thought I'd at least just sit there and have him "show me some things". But as soon as we took off, he leans back and is like..."ok, you're flying the plane now!" (after he told me some stuff back on the ground of course). So we're cruising around 3,000ft and he's showing me how to turn it and whatnot, then he'd be like..."ok, now show me a left turn to about 30 degrees". I really didn't expect to be flying a fucking plane my 1st time out!! He's like..."I like to make sure you get your money's worth!" haha

I soooo excited about this venture. It's really not that hard once you get up to level flight. It's just like driving a car, you gotta do what you need to do to keep it going straight. Can't wait till I know how to do things and I can start going on my solo flights!

Got some pics to share of course!

Cessna 172...

He snapped a few pics of me flying it!

Him bringing us down!

What an incredible experience....

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Very cool, definitely one of the things I was hoping to be able to do someday. I'd actually like to have a plane though, but it's extremely expensive to keep one from what I understand.

M

·
0 Posts
Dude, that's so fucking cool. It seems like a nice little airport. Where is it? I'm from Dover, OH about 45 min. south of you, is it in that direction?

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's in Wadsworth, OH. About 25 mins west of Akron down I-76.

And this deffinatly isn't going to be a cheap venture! By the time it's all said and done, it'll probably be over $4,000. But again, that's cheaper than if I wait to get it at the school, plus that's less time that I have to spend out there also. Another reason it's a tad expensive is that I'm flying in the 172 as opposed to a 152. The 172's are bigger and have a backseat. The 152's are smaller than you could imagine! It's just you and the instructor and you're basically sitting on eachothers laps!! But, it's about $1,500 LESS than a 172. I don't have a problem paying the extra money for the bigger plane. Plus he said anytime I wanna bring someone up, the backseat is always open!

And it would be pretty cool to have your own plane, but I'd be worried about the maintenance on it. The instructor said you could get a used 172 for between $35-$50K and like a 182(lot bigger) for under $70K. But it's really pretty reasonable to rent planes. This place rents the 172's for $75 an hour. That might seem expensive to some, but when you think about it, it's really not compared to say how expensive it is to own a boat and how little time you have to enjoy one here in ohio. Plus they only charge you for the time the engine is running, not how long you have the plane. It's gonna be sweet to fly somewhere on the weekend or something!!

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
that is fucking awesome bro. now you have to fly to VA for a local meet lol.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You've got my word on that!!! I love going new places and meeting new people, especially 355'ers! This will make it much easier, except I won't have my truck with me! lol:355group: :salute:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
dude thas freakn awesome! I always wanted to fly a plane even if it is a lil cessna flying is flying!! My ex ex ex ex girlfriend was in a lil pilots school thing and she started flying planes a few years back i was so jealous! i hope to fly one day, being way up in the sky would be so much fun! MAybe one day ill fly something! G~luck to you man thats freakn sweet!

·
Registered
587 Posts
im currently working on mine as well, then it is off to helicopter school

my company (cirrus design) is paying for about 75% of the private license and all of the airtime.

and best yet i get to fly a cirrus sr20 to learn on. fuck ya ive got a parachute in my plane

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's in Wadsworth, OH. About 25 mins west of Akron down I-76.

And this deffinatly isn't going to be a cheap venture! By the time it's all said and done, it'll probably be over $4,000. But again, that's cheaper than if I wait to get it at the school, plus that's less time that I have to spend out there also. Another reason it's a tad expensive is that I'm flying in the 172 as opposed to a 152. The 172's are bigger and have a backseat. The 152's are smaller than you could imagine! It's just you and the instructor and you're basically sitting on eachothers laps!! But, it's about $1,500 LESS than a 172. I don't have a problem paying the extra money for the bigger plane. Plus he said anytime I wanna bring someone up, the backseat is always open!

And it would be pretty cool to have your own plane, but I'd be worried about the maintenance on it. The instructor said you could get a used 172 for between $35-$50K and like a 182(lot bigger) for under $70K. But it's really pretty reasonable to rent planes. This place rents the 172's for $75 an hour. That might seem expensive to some, but when you think about it, it's really not compared to say how expensive it is to own a boat and how little time you have to enjoy one here in ohio. Plus they only charge you for the time the engine is running, not how long you have the plane. It's gonna be sweet to fly somewhere on the weekend or something!!
go to cirrusdesign.com and look at the new srs sport

it is a two seater and has detachable wings new it is in the 90k range but no hanger fees as you can store it in a trailer in your yard, and it has an airframe parachute as well.

also for free faa tests and study guides go to sportys.com and sign up

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
You've got my word on that!!! I love going new places and meeting new people, especially 355'ers! This will make it much easier, except I won't have my truck with me! lol:355group: :salute:
who cares if you dont have a truck your a 355er:355group: :355:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts