Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used one off ebay and I wanted to show the ones who are familiar in this area to see if this is everything ill need. Obviously I need some wire to get this sensor to reach the mirror from the grill but is there something else I would need that is not here? I appreciate your help guys.

Attachments

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I still need to finish wiring my temp probe up

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure what that means in regards to something missing or everything being here? Sorry man kinda ambiguous.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay guys question for ya. I bought the 177 used off ebay with the tmp prob okay.... I took it to one place to see if they can install it for me. Guy says it cant be done because my truck didnt come with it so its not wired up for it. Took it to another place and hes doing research to find out wtf he has to do all together. At least hes making an effort to want to get paid lol thats how to maintain business and get returning customers. Anyway is this true in regards to it not being possible to a truck that didnt come with the dimming compass thermostat mirror stock?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting it done Monday morning. Incredible that a "professional" is gonna tell me its not even possible when the real pros say its not even an issue.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sensor doesn't look like it will fit in the factory location.
Really? Huh the guy whos taken care of it must have known because has an idea as to where to mount it. Thanks for responding though I appreciate your attentiveness.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sumbitch oh well I hope the guys at the shop can make something work. There known for custom work so I trust they can work something out. You know what I was thinking was I dont have a mount or anything for the mirror to attach to. This is gonna cause me problems isnt it? SHIT this is a never ending project here.

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
You may need an adapter piece to mount the mirror neck to the existing permanent mount on the windshield.

Concerning the temp sensor, as long as it's secured in place it will work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You may need an adapter piece to mount the mirror neck to the existing permanent mount on the windshield.

Concerning the temp sensor, as long as it's secured in place it will work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Hey thank you bretheren. I went out to my truck this morning and I was trippen. The base on the new mirror looked as if it was an entirely different one than my current so I was flippen but I see now that you just untorx that shit off and put the new one on. Der duh Der lol. I was thinking that about the sensor too. I mean as long as that feature still works I'm fine with them zip tying that shit somewhere haha jk

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 2007 Canyon I bought new and put one in with map lights. As long as the harness is already there in the headliner as I said if you would buy the Magna Donnelly Wedge Mount part nu: 19657 everything is plug and play except for the splice into the connector under your air intake on right fender. The probe clips onto a place made for it to on the center radiator support.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2007 Canyon I bought new and put one in with map lights. As long as the harness is already there in the headliner as I said if you would buy the Magna Donnelly Wedge Mount part nu: 19657 everything is plug and play except for the splice into the connector under your air intake on right fender. The probe clips onto a place made for it to on the center radiator support.
Thanks Jonny, I think map lights would actually be really cool to have. I'm not doing the I install at all. It's easy for some but me and electrical shit aren't friends. I'll end up shorting the electrical in my truck and have no vehicle lol. I'll let those guys know about the spot to put the probe. So for confirmation the one I have in the pic up top will work? I have an 07 colly if that means anything to this.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry but I don't know if the one you bought can be wired in to work or not, probably so. But I don't remember any more what package it is. But it was if your truck has the convenience package or something then there's the plug on the end of the wiring harness for the mirror if your truck has just a regular mirror tucked up under the front edge of the headliner. And in my case since I bought the Donnelly mirror I told you about it plugged directly into that mirror plug so therefore there was no wiring at all except for that splice of the single wire for the temp. probe. In your case they probably will need to run wiring but I no others have and that wasn't a problem. Just have to get power to it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry but I don't know if the one you bought can be wired in to work or not, probably so. But I don't remember any more what package it is. But it was if your truck has the convenience package or something then there's the plug on the end of the wiring harness for the mirror if your truck has just a regular mirror tucked up under the front edge of the headliner. And in my case since I bought the Donnelly mirror I told you about it plugged directly into that mirror plug so therefore there was no wiring at all except for that splice of the single wire for the temp. probe. In your case they probably will need to run wiring but I no others have and that wasn't a problem. Just have to get power to it.
I appreciate your knowledge Jonny, my appt is in a few hours. The only sucky part of this whole endeavor is they may take a couple hours to do it. Mind you I'm paying shop hours which isn't cheap. It's all good. This is one of those things that I've wanted for ever. One of those things thats gonna complete my truck, to me anyway. I'm still gonna get the power door locks and windows. Just need to find someone who can install the kit ima buy for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mirror is in and I love it. I envied you folks that bought the truck with it installed already. I just so happened to get the truck I have as a trade in at a yota stealership. I don't know where the probe is mounted but the shit works directions and temp are all good. Haven't driven at night yet to try out the dimming feature. By the way Wtf is the purpose of the two buttons on the mirror when the temp and comp is already on display.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
One is a temperature switch and the other is a compass switch

This is all covered here: http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-interior/56950-how-rearview-mirror-upgrade.html

Hold Temperature switch for 15 seconds to disable Auto Dimming and Auto LED will go off. Repeat step to enable Auto Dimming and the Auto LED will come on.

Compass Switch Functions

Push in Comp switch to turn Compass on/off.

Zone Variation
This compass must be set to compensate for the variation between true north and magnetic north. To set variation:

Turn ignition on.

Using the map below to find your geographic location, note the zone that you are in.
To select Zone, push in the Comp switch for 3 seconds until the Zone selection comes up. Release, then toggle until correct zone is found and release switch. After 5 seconds of no switch activity, display will return to normal temperature reading.

Compass Calibration
This compass automatically calibrates itself while the vehicle is driven as your route takes you in complete circles. Therefore no calibration should be required, though it may take up to an hour. A quicker method is listed below. If the vehicle's compass headings become inaccurate, the compass can be manually calibrated by:

Turn ignition on.
Zone variation needs to be changed to use in different areas of the country.
For a different Zone selection, push in the Comp switch for 3 seconds until the Zone selection comes up. Release, then toggle until correct zone is found and release switch.
To re-calibrate, hold the Comp switch for 6 seconds until a "C" is displayed. Drive your vehicle in at least 3 circles, allowing 45 seconds to complete one circle.

Temperature Function
Push in Temp switch to display outside temperature, and to toggle Temp on/off.
Push Temp switch for 3 seconds until display blinks F° or C°. Release, then toggle Temp switch to select F° and C°. After 5 seconds of no switch activity, display will return to normal temperature reading.

Ice Feature
Display will indicate "ICE" to alert driver to potential driving hazard when temperatures are below 38° F.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts