Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I was driving with my friend to go pick up some bucket seats (yay) and he was like "floor it!" Meanwhile I am thinking, "I'll go 98 mph, big deal" So I have the speedometer feature on my Pioneer up while driving down this big empty strip and gun it.

This is where it gets weird. My speedometer and the Pioneer speedometer were both reading 100+ mph. In my head I was thinking it was a fluke, but sure enough my was truck was going faster than I have ever felt it go.

I managed to hit about 115 mph before I realized it was time to take it easy on my 30 series tires lol

So this is my question: Is it possible since I tapped into the speed sensor wire from my head unit, the governor somehow got deleted? My truck has always stopped at the 98 mph mark.

Here's a pic for you guys who think I am BS'n:

(I currently have the Pioneer AVIC-D3)

·
Registered
964 Posts
If so could this be a way to get by the top speed cutoff without having the truck tuned? I ain't no electronics wizard but anythings could happen.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly, I can't think of any other reason why this would of happened.

By the way, nice avatar! I have a poster of The Trooper in my room :bang:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Did you try to go any more???

The only reason I ask this is because of tire size difference. Ex. When I traded out rudy for the 20's my speedo was off at least 6 MPH. I went from having 235/55-18 to 255/35-20.

So what I'm getting at is you might still have it but your speedo's off by that much in the upper speeds.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Pioneer has a little memory thing that tells me the fastest I've ever gone I think, so I'll have to check that.

I think it is pretty accurate since it was reading directly off the speed sensor, but since I went from 15"s to 20"s it's probably a little off.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, there's an actual screen I can pull up that tells me how fast I am going among other things. Alex was watching it as I was driving and he said it was a little over 114 mph

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Shit, with all the damn electronics and sensors and nonsense these trucks have i'd believe it.

Guess it's a perk from blowing all that money on a headunit :lol:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tested out my governor again this morning..... and nothing.

I was still able to go a little past 100 mph with no restriction. So either I am getting a bad reading from the speedometer or the system actually has been overridden.

Just thought I'd share! :bang:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
at 100 mph your speedo would be off 5.75 mph...so it may very well be the stereo.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As in you think I am actually hitting over 100mph or not? I was getting a reading of around 115 on my speedometer and radio.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts