Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I've been on the Nation', and even longer since I've posted anything worthwhile. With the purchase of a beater car my Colorado has spent most of the past few months parked and resting. After rolling over 100K and a daily commute of 50 miles, the numbers were adding up and with three more years on the loan, my baby was growing old before her time.

Nevertheless, with a new boss, and a slight pay increase I found myself with a little extra money to throw around, so I dropped $100 on Jeremy (limequat)'s tuning services. Now I'm no stranger to tuning, having owned a highly modified diesel pickup, and from reading about Gerry and Supermods elite tuning capabilities for these trucks. I know Gerry's tunes are the cream of the crop around here, but his work also comes at a premium price that I just couldn't afford. Essentially it came down to paying $300 (or whatever his fee is) for a 100% awesome made to order tune, or pay 1/3 of that price for a tune that's 80% as good. I know, a cookie cutter tune isn't a comparison to a made to order tailored to your driving style tune, but that extra $200 would go a long way towards the new front door the wife is demanding.

I've talked to Jeremy several times via PM and read and researched around here and the general consensus is he knows what he's doing. So, as I have a beater car now, I mailed in my PCM rendering my truck useless for a week. Not a problem at all. I called Jeremy once to let him know my PCM was on its way, discussed what I wanted a little bit, and the rest was in his hands.

I mailed the PCM express, and it arrived the next morning. Jeremy worked his magic, and my PCM was in the mail on its way back the next day. It was a reflash in a flash. Jeremy mailed the PCM priority with tracking, and it arrived today. After getting home from work, I was very excited about how my truck was going to react.

After reinstalling the PCM and starting the truck I noticed immidiately the glaring CEL was gone. I had Jeremy disable all of the stupid EVAP codes, disable VATS and do some other stuff with Power Enrichment and Torque Management. The details of my exact tune will remain classified.

In the initial test drive the truck acted snappier, peppier, and during acceleration, I was doing 70 and didn't even know it. Power came on really smooth, and the shifts are now especially crisp. While the truck dosent "feel like a different truck", it does feel different, and it does drive and react to throttle inputs differently. The shift habits are also improved.

Is Jeremys work comparable with Gerry and SuperMod? From what I've read, no. Is Jeremy's work worth $100? All day long. Any type of performance upgrade for $100 is a good value, and I honestly feel more from this $100 than I did from my intake, exhaust, and corvette servo combined. There's approximately $400 in mods with those pieces alone, and Jeremy's $100 tune was my best bang for the buck yet.

If you've been waiting for a tune and don't have $300-$400 to pay the experts, Jeremy's $100 tune will get you reasonably close at a fraction of the cost.

L

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Don't believe everything you read ;)

Congrats on the tune! $100 very well spent!
Now now now, it's the difference between Walmart boots and Red Wings, you get what you pay for.

;)

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
Now now now, it's the difference between Walmart boots and Red Wings, you get what you pay for.

;)
Sometimes, those walmart boots are just rebranded red wings. ;)

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The bottom line for me is this.

Can Gerry and SuperMod squeeze 5 or 6 more HP out of the engine? Probably.

Is that 5 or 6 more worth $200 more? For the average guy who dosent race, tow, or anything that demands 100% balls to the wall, cost effectiveness is more valuable. If you want 100% perfection and every drop of power your truck can give you, by all means, Gerry is the man to call. But for an average guy on a budget, Jeremy is "almost" as good, at 1/3 the price.

Redwing boots are nice for someone who works construction all day and demands ultimate comfort and durability. But that comes at a price.

If you want to just protect your feet, a $50 pair of Walmart steel toes will do the same thing. You may not be as comfortable, but both pairs get the job done at the end of the day.

If I raced for slips every weekend, sure. But I don't, and $200 extra sure buys a lot of beer, or a cheap hooker. Whichever you fancy.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sometimes, those walmart boots are just rebranded red wings. ;)
AHA! All those hiker style Red Wings ARE Chinese! 4 grades: US w/US materials, US w/Chinese materials, Chinese w/US parts, and Chinese w/Chinese parts. No shit. I have the 606s US/US like walking on a carpet of boobs lol.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The bottom line for me is this.

Can Gerry and SuperMod squeeze 5 or 6 more HP out of the engine? Probably.

Is that 5 or 6 more worth $200 more? For the average guy who dosent race, tow, or anything that demands 100% balls to the wall, cost effectiveness is more valuable. If you want 100% perfection and every drop of power your truck can give you, by all means, Gerry is the man to call. But for an average guy on a budget, Jeremy is "almost" as good, at 1/3 the price.

Redwing boots are nice for someone who works construction all day and demands ultimate comfort and durability. But that comes at a price.

If you want to just protect your feet, a $50 pair of Walmart steel toes will do the same thing. You may not be as comfortable, but both pairs get the job done at the end of the day.

If I raced for slips every weekend, sure. But I don't, and $200 extra sure buys a lot of beer, or a cheap hooker. Whichever you fancy.

EXACTLY! <thought that's what I said... but anyway lol)
I took issue with the 'Don't believe everything you read' statement.

The comparison about the boots is pretty close. I used to buy Wallyworld boots about every six months, wearing them out. Got into Red Wings because I figured I'm paying more over time having new boots every six months versus being comfortable for five years, and I can get them rebuilt when it's time.
I need to talk to Gerry anyway, been using supreme on my mid-grade tune, saving gas (24.2mpg overall), but want to max it out. Thus a custom tune works for me a little better. I have nothing against Limequat, just the uninformed statement.
;)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Oh yeah-> about the budget, I totally understand. Ask James about me, I sweated out 2 years here on this board, becoming a contributor, just to save $200 on his PTB. Still needed a word from Gerry after my tune that I was ok lol.
Good God I'm going to be 50 on the sixth, I have learned patience on certain things. And my truck is always last on the priority list.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I guess I'll consider myself informed.

·
Registered
994 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
In everyone's experience. What would be the best way to setup a limeswap tune for street ability? My truck (04 2wd 3.5L auto) is a daily driver. My commute is around 10 miles to work every morning. I don't tow anything with it unless its a dirt bike or tools in the bed. It seems like the torque management is holding the engine back a lot. Also I am planning on getting a super mods PTB within the next few weeks so I think I should wait for a tune? Right now the truck has a Volant CAI with MRBP catback on its way. Any suggestions on setting the tune up would be great.

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
I ,think there was a Gerry tune in hptuners repository at some point Lol.

I know I have seen one at some point

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts
Don't think you mentioned Mr. Cory aka 05_quick4door here, who has tuned the fastest NA I5 on the road

1 - 16 of 16 Posts