Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATED 4-30 My lowering thread 3x4.5 Now LOW

Well some of you might know that I bought the Bell Tech Stainless Steel Coil Over Kit with Rear Shocks at the end of summer last year and I was waiting for spring to install them.

Well spring is here and I tried to install everything on friday afternoon and I ran into a problem. 3 out of 4 of the lower controle arm bolts were seized to the bushings in the a-arm and would not budge. I was using a sledge hammer to hit the shit out of them and pop the bolts loose. When I noticed I was actuley starting to bend the metal that holds the a-arm to the frame (crap). So I deceided to put it back together before I break someting and order new a-arm bolts from GM on monday and cut the bolts off next time. :dawg:

For the Front I plan on installing a set of 3" DJM A-Arms along with the coil overs. I am doing this for two reason. I will not have to run the coil overs at there max which is 3" and Im hopeing to acheive a better ride by doing this. Plus down the road if I want to go lower I could always cut out the inner front fenders and wind down the coil overs. I should have the abilty to lower the front end from 3" to 6" (if I cut the inner fenders out). I also ordered a set of 245 45 17 Tires which are smaller in diameter than the stock zq8 tires so that I could acheive a lower stance with out rubbing issues. Here is a pic of the Coil Over system I am going to install.

The rear plan is to use 3" blocks and the stock zq8 leafs for now to set the suspension up before I notch the rear frame and run 3" Leafs or 4" Blocks which I allready have. Here is a pic of the bell Tech 3" blocks next to the set of AIM 4" Blocks with built on pinion angle.

I have also ordered and received a set of Foam Cushion Bump Stops for the rear. That I will be checking out to see if they will replace the factory rear bump stops.

I took some quick measurements on friday of how my truck sits rightnow. With the Bell Tech 4203 Springs (I cut one wrap off the passenger side coil spring and a half of a wrap off the driver side coil spring), Custom 2 1/2 Blocks with the stock ZQ8 Leafs, Bell Tech Nitro Drop shocks, Clean Cut Creation Crossmember and 245 45 17 Tires.

Front Driverside 28 1/8 Front Passenger Side 28 1/2
Rear Driverside 28 3/4 Rear Passenger Side 28 3/4

Thats about it for now stay tuned for a update next weekend as I try to install everything again!

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Re: My lowering thread 3x4.5 Now ?x? Coming Soon

Chances are if you couldn't get the bolts out of the a-arm bushings to begin with, you won't get the studs out after you cut the head off. At least without completly destroying the bushing with heat or force. I'm a body man and have to do suspension work pretty regularly and that's been my experience with any kind of truck suspension. Any time I find out that the a-arm bolts are siezed in there, i walk right over to the parts guy and tell him to order bolts and bushings........

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I plan on making the cuts on the inside of the bracket flush with bushings on both side of the bushings. So I can remove them to install the DJM a-arms which come with greaseable urethane bushings. I will go back later on and try to pound the rest of the bolts out of the a arms later or just replace them like you said.

Thanks

·
0 Posts

I am real curious about how thoes coilovers workfor ya...I plan on getting a set for myself too...

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts

Hope u have it done before the meet on may 20th, if your still coming maybe we can meet here in zanesville and ride in together and maybe pickup a few on the way.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts

I plan on making the cuts on the inside of the bracket flush with bushings on both side of the bushings. So I can remove them to install the DJM a-arms which come with greaseable urethane bushings. I will go back later on and try to pound the rest of the bolts out of the a arms later or just replace them like you said.

Thanks
I guess I didn't even think about the new A-Arms coming with bushings! LOL I'm just used to replacing them with stockers that don't come with bushings. Should work out nice for ya then!:bang:

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hope u have it done before the meet on may 20th, if your still coming maybe we can meet here in zanesville and ride in together and maybe pickup a few on the way.

I better have it done before then. I should have it done friday night and the alingment sat morning if everything goes right this time around. I would be glade to meet up with you so we can roll in together.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I guess I didn't even think about the new A-Arms coming with bushings! LOL I'm just used to replacing them with stockers that don't come with bushings. Should work out nice for ya then!:bang:
Its all good man. Thanks For looking out for me.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I ordered the a-arms bolts this morning. Here is the info on them incase someone needs to order them.

Two- P# 11588462 Bolt $13.75
Two- P# 11588463 Bolt $13.75
Two- P# 15171792 Cam $4.47
Two- P# 15171793 Cam $4.47
Four- P# 11516074 Nut $2.72

The Bolts and Cams are specific left and right thats why there on there twice.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts

nice man I still need to replace my front struts since I'm still running my stock ones let me know how well these work

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: My lowering thread 3x4.5 Now ?x? UPDATED 4-21

Update....4-21

I did it well kinda. The 3" blocks I was sent were the wrong blocks but in the right box?? Oh well Ill order new ones monday. But I did get the front done.

Before
Front Driverside 28 1/8 Front Passenger Side 28 1/2

Now
Front Driverside 26 1/2 Front Passenger Side 26 1/2

I have the rebound and compression adjustments set in the middle right now on both front and back shocks and it rides good but a little on the stiff side so Ill probley soften them up when I get time.

Its fricken low. I had to remove the front lip spolier so I could get it on the aliment rack this morning then after it was aligned it bottomed out pulling it off the aliment rack right onto the ebrake cables so we had to use pieces of wood to back down on to get it off the alinment rack.

I removed the front bump stops for now and I havent hit the bump stop bracket at all driving around. But I plan on triming them and running them any how just incase even though the shocks have built in bump stops.

And here is the stunner.......My alingment guy said I can't go any lower unless I modify the driver side tie rod because its all the way in and there are no more threads showing. I guess he had to adjust it in all the way just to get it lined up. Crazy.

So even though its setting on a rake because I didnt receive the right 3" blocks I will have pics of the truck for you guys tomorrow night. :econo: :econo: :salute:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

Fucking sweet bro!! :cool:

Gotta see the pics!!!! :D

So technically, how low are you in the front now? And the rear will be how low?

Are you also planning on notching the frame?

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts

sweet bro i cant wait to see some pics.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts

cmon dood get some pics up. r u putting the chromees on now??

We gotta see the pics.:worthless: ;) ;)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Lookin clean sir. Very nice, very low. I like!

(*cough* billet gas door *cough*)

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts

looks good man.

now you put me in the mood to lower mine again.

did you have to notch the frame? or going to have to notch the frame?

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts

Hail to the lowest sum bitch I know.

:wrado: :bow2: :bow2: :bow2: :bow2: :bow2: :bow2: You rock dude!!:bang: :bang:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts