Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be updating this thread w/pics over the next few days as I complete my sequence of performance mods, so be sure to check back!:D

Gutted the Manifold Cat.....

Found out my uncle had an air compressor so I woke up early today to gut my cat before it got too hot outside. Went suprisingly smooth, only busted one knuckle!!:lol: And the only fuck up I had was when I was tightening the manifold bolts, I broke the head off of one.:dawg: I didn't even use my impact either, just had my 1/2" ratchet on there. I kept tightening and it still felt like I had a ways to go, then it just snapped off. eff......

But overall it was cake. Took that one block off plate off and the manifold came out real easy. Busting up the shit was easier than I though it would be too. Everything came right out, only took like 15 mins.

Haven't driven it yet so I'll have to report back later tonight. Started it up though to check for leaks. Sounds a but different up front but that's about it for now......

Some progress pics......

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, between cramming my prybar in the one end, and a Screwdriver in the O2 sensor hole, everything came right out, no problems whatsoever. Hell, you can almost reach in there and pull chunks out......

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Awesome!!! I would like to do this but will wait until warrenty is gone!

·
Registered
24 Posts
sweet.

Mav, S.I. and I all did that this past weekend...my truck was the only bitch, one bolt refused to cooperate, but we finally got it to go back in. Definite improvement in low end!

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I could've re-used them no problem, but I bought new ones the day before so I just decided to throw them on anyway. Better safe then sorry, plus they were only $20.....

sweet.

Mav, S.I. and I all did that this past weekend...my truck was the only bitch, one bolt refused to cooperate, but we finally got it to go back in. Definite improvement in low end!

DAMN!! That must have been some party....:lolsign:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
sweet.

Me next?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i still have not done this MOD.. i need a drive way.. i can't do this in the street..

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
i need to do it on my 4 cylinder...what kinda help it will give me.....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
better low end power range..

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
-Post Drive Report-

Pretty much what I expected. It's not an incredible difference, but enough to make doing this worth your time.:355:

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
****CUSTOM INTAKE****

While browsin Auto Zone to see what kind of couplers they had, I came across the "Ricer" section and saw these pieces that let you "Build your own Intake". Intrigued by them and the price, I picked up some pieces to make the Intake pipe. I though it would work out nice because all we need is like 8" or so. And they even had a piece that had holes for vacume lines.

Also picked up the 3.5" hose coloradotom used on his setup from NAPA today. Got like 2ft for $35.

Well, that AutoZone stuff won't work with this hose. I though maybe I could clamp it down on the pipes (they're only 3") but that was out of the question.This stuff would work if I had a 3.5" to 3" coupler, but I don't feel like ordering one and waiting. I wanna get this done by this weekend. I wasn't too sure how I'd feel with cheap plastic parts store ricer parts on my truck anyway, I was just tryin shit out.

So i'm gonna call some electrical supply stores tommorow and see if they have the pipe Tom used. If I can't find any, then I was thinking about calling muffler shops and seein if they could sell me like a 2 foot piece of 3.5" with a 22degree bend in it.

I'll keep you guys updated.......

Auto Zone Pieces.

NAPA Hose

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
hey make sure if you get that pipe custom bent that it fits good in that NAPA hose.... the EMT is def the perfect size though... lookin good man....

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! I hope I can find that EMT pipe, that would be the easiest/best way to go. I looked in the phone book for Electrical Supply stores and they're all on the other side of town. I'm gonna call around 1st thing in the morning and see if one of them has some in stock.....

I still have to get those fittings though, and a Tap now that I think of it! lol

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
-Got it Done-

Well, I called at least 12-13 supply stores this morning and 10 of them didn't have the EMT. The other 2-3 had it in 10ft sections, but they were straight. So since I wouldn't have a way to make the bend I needed, I just called a few custom muffler places.....

Got in touch with this one about 3 miles away and they bent me up a piece of 3". Trimed it down for me and they opened up the ends so the hose would seal.

And since i didn't think the threaded fittings would thread into a thin piece of pipe such as exhaust tubing, I went with the straight brass couplers. Just drilled holes in the TB coupler and hooked my vacume lines there. Worked out good.

NOW- This is only a temporary setup untill I can find either the EMT or something similar. That's why I didn't paint it. I don't like the ends on this exhaust tubing. The machine made them like "cones". I also didn't like that they couldn't mandrel bend it either so I have those ribs in the bend. I'm still going to keep my vacume lines in the coupler though, that way I don't have to buy a tap set!

The guy only charged me $15 though AND I got that extra piece of 3" too!!! This setup will work for now, I couldn't pass that up. Gonna do something like the JTR kit with the extra piece.....

And I know my engine is Filthy!!

p.s.-my BPi Velocity Stack arrived AS I was typing this! Filter won't be here till tomorrow so I'll throw them on and get pics then....

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
now i just need to get home so i can see the piktars! lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts