Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Colorado LT Z85 3.7, 4" Rancho lift, Pro-Comp struts, Airlift rear bags
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2007 Z85 used a couple of years ago.

I just replaced all of the struts recently and noticed the nose of the truck sits a little higher than the tail (it is squatting).

I have the rancho 4" lift on it, and I installed a lightly longer shackle to try to help but it is still sitting a little high. I dont think the torsion bars are cranked at all, but I think there may have been a body lift (levelling) kit put on before the Rancho kit was put on (also leveling I believe since its 4" front and only 2" rear lift...at least I believe that is correct).

I also have an airlift airbag kit on the rear and when I get the pressure up to about 35lbs the truck sits level but I dont think this is good for it as the ride suffers terribly if there is no load in the rear.

I have some helper springs I can put on, but I am wondering if I should go ahead and replace the leaf springs before I do that. The helper springs say they can give me close to 2" more lift at the rear.

This is my first truck, but I am mechanically adept and learn quickly, but I am not sure that I will gain anything by just putting the helper springs on the old springs.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
A body lift isn't a leveling kit. They raise the cab and bed the same distance from the frame. Sounds like your rear springs are suffering from sagging. Skyjacker has rear springs that would be a good replacement that they use in their 4in lift kit.
What is your front ride height? How is your CV axle angles? Possible your torsion bars are turned up too much too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lift I have lifts the nose 4" and the tail 2 or 2.5"
Some lifts do level the nose, I've helped put them on trucks before but I am personally newer to having one and dont know the history of my truck. My CV angles are fine, the torsion bars are not turned up. The front geometry is stock on a rancho lift because it relocates the lower control arms and diff and uses new spindles. The rear springs have very likely sagged a little over the years, but I suspect a body lift style levelling kit has been used on this truck also. It was a repo from what I could gather so no one really had much info about the previous owner or the mods done to the truck. There was an aftermarket security system that was badly removed and it looks like the truck had an air locker at some point in its life. The truck also had some kind of piggyback engine management system on it because there were a lot of extra wires going to various sensors on the engine. I have pulled a lot of extra wire out and that resolved everything except the passlock problem that I was having and I have cut that wire too so it is no longer an issue. I haven't taken it apart very far since it all works ok, so I am mostly doing cosmetic stuff at this point, though I did replace the U joints and I also gave it a full fluid service when I first got it home.

I have replaced the Torque converter lock-up solenoid and serviced the transmission. I haven't torn into the mechanicals much because I didn't have a lot of space, but we just bought a house so I am tearing in now.

The car previously had an aftermarket stereo and amp but that had all been ripped out and the stereo was a gm unit but the wrong kind. I put an android unit in instead and a subwoofer/amp all in one. The speakers that were already in it were pretty decent alpines.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
The lift I have lifts the nose 4" and the tail 2 or 2.5"
Some lifts do level the nose, I've helped put them on trucks before but I am personally newer to having one and dont know the history of my truck. My CV angles are fine, the torsion bars are not turned up. The front geometry is stock on a rancho lift because it relocates the lower control arms and diff and uses new spindles. The rear springs have very likely sagged a little over the years, but I suspect a body lift style levelling kit has been used on this truck also. It was a repo from what I could gather so no one really had much info about the previous owner or the mods done to the truck. There was an aftermarket security system that was badly removed and it looks like the truck had an air locker at some point in its life. The truck also had some kind of piggyback engine management system on it because there were a lot of extra wires going to various sensors on the engine. I have pulled a lot of extra wire out and that resolved everything except the passlock problem that I was having and I have cut that wire too so it is no longer an issue. I haven't taken it apart very far since it all works ok, so I am mostly doing cosmetic stuff at this point, though I did replace the U joints and I also gave it a full fluid service when I first got it home.

I have replaced the Torque converter lock-up solenoid and serviced the transmission. I haven't torn into the mechanicals much because I didn't have a lot of space, but we just bought a house so I am tearing in now.

The car previously had an aftermarket stereo and amp but that had all been ripped out and the stereo was a gm unit but the wrong kind. I put an android unit in instead and a subwoofer/amp all in one. The speakers that were already in it were pretty decent alpines.
So it's really NOT your nose sitting a little to high. Seems it's your REAR is sitting little too low.

A body lift is not a leveling lift. I think your mistaken about a suspension lift leveling kit. Aka torsion twist with new keys to level the front to the rear. Not your situation here. So it sounds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This weekend I am tearing into this.

I have new leaf springs coming and all kinds of goodies to fix the issue if that is not it. I measured front and rear heights and I've also measure the distance from the frame to the body in various locations.
Rancho lists the 4" lift kit as 4" front and 2.5" rear. That is what I meant as a leveling lift kit. It is intended to bring the nose up to the same ride height as the rear. On a Z71 it only results in a 2.5" front/rear lift because the Z71 nose sits a bit higher from the factory (per Rancho). So this would be an example of a lift kit that levels the nose with the tail.

I believe that my truck is experiencing some leaf spring sag, but I also have measured almost a 1" difference between the body and frame from the front to the rear, and the front spacers between the body and frame look and feel like Urethane. I was able to find similar items on eBay looking for body leveling kits where they lift the nose more than they lift the tail, this would explain why I feel like my bumpers have an unusual (even for a 355) gap. Zone makes such a body lift/leveling kit as do numerous others, so I am not crazy when I say something like that.

I am doing a lot of work over the next few weekends (including finishing up my winch mount, grill, and probably put some new brakes on.

As it is the body is still rust-free (a midwest miracle) and the frame only has light surface rust. I'm hoping to still have it running when I can put vintage tags on it. One of my friends was teasing me about having an old truck but his 2012 sierra has rusted through the rockers already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts