Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Great work on everything! Where did you get the stainless brake lines?
I got them off amazon. They are Goodridge 14178.

On a side note, less brake fluid came out then expected when changing the lines and the 10 year old fluid looked great. I did still put in 2 3/4 12 oz bottles through when bleeding them. I may do another 12oz bottle just to get more old fluid out.

I used Castrol Dot 4 brake fluid.

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
I put in a new clutch and upgraded to the 11'' H3 Hummer clutch.

I also replaced the swaybar bushings with greasable ones since the belltech ones didn't have zerk fittings.

I have been working on a hop shock like the s-10s had. Next weekend I'll clean up the mount and paint it, then I'll take some pictures for you guys.

· Registered
5,024 Posts
I also replaced the swaybar bushings with greasable ones since the belltech ones didn't have zerk fittings.
Do tell.
From where did you source the bushings?
Got part-numbers, or did you mod something to fit?

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I just got the energy suspension greasable sway bar bushing set in the correct size. No modding necessary.
I got them from amazon.
Front (1-1/4'') 9.5165G
Rear (1'') 9.5161G

It didn't really need them but they were on sale and I wanted to convenience. I probably could have modded the ones that came with the belltech kit to accept zerks but I didn't feel like doing that.

· Registered
5,024 Posts
Good info... thanks!

When a Belltech swaybar begins to squeak-squeak and you're far from home with nowhere to easily get it greased... I'd rather take a punch to the gut.

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 · (Edited)
To cure the wheel hop problem and to have something that I could leave on 100% of the time without reducing ground clearance or negatively affect handling, I build an off road style ladder bar (instead of a hop shock, it didn't work as well as I had hoped). It has two poly bushings at the axle and a johnny joint/bushing at the shackle end.

It has eliminated wheel hop (when adjusted correctly) and allows axle articulation as well as fore and aft movement (shackle). I tried it at the track this weekend and ran a 13.89 at 101.
54798762_1947130952061965_5946679664977117184_n by Jaymes English, on Flickr
54462373_358421561436863_8929928523888459776_n by Jaymes English, on Flickr

All I need to do is add a 3rd clamp to the axle and some paint.

· Premium Member
3,938 Posts
@Jaymes how difficult would it be to build these for other members? Are they truck specific or would it work on any 355 given their axle hasn't been shifted forward/backward?

Did you do just a single ladder bar or two?
@Sudol94 check it out

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
It's just a single ladder bar. The only things that would be different (I think) is length of the shackle and if the muffler/tailpipe are in the way depending on ride height.

It will work with any stock height truck if the muffler is not in the way. It's completely bolt on. In my setup the muffler had to be turned ~45 degrees from level to leave enough room.

· Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I'm interested because it seems like a much better solution than what I'm running currently. However my truck is lowered around 4" in the back so I'm not sure how that would effect it. In my case there is no exhaust back there to get in the way.

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Not much but a small update.

I think the axle was slipping in the clamp on the ladder bar so I decided to weld a 2''x2'' tab to the bump stop on the axle and get a longer bolt so its located in the correct position. When the ladder bar isn't adjusted right it will wheel hop.

My initial testing says that it works but I need to go to the track to confirm where there is more traction. I think it has another tenth in it as is since the last time I went to the track it wasn't adjusted correctly.

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
I'd be interested in one of those setups too, I think I'm between you guys height wise. How does it take turns with that vs without?
I don't think it makes much of a difference in turns. It feels slightly stiffer with it. Otherwise it doesn't seem to have affected anything. I would think since it stops wheel hop and pushes the axle down it would increase traction but I don't have any real tests done.

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
I replaced the leaf spring and frame to shackle bushings. What a difference those bushings made! It feels more compliant, smoother and more planted. I had been wanting to do them for a while and finally got around to it. I have a friend who has a lift in his shop and that made it a lot easier. From the factory it looks like they flare out the end that slides in after it is installed on all the bushings so an air hammer came in handy.

I also replaced the motor/trans mounts and it feels smoother. The drivers side motor mount in a pain to replace.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.