Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just joined up and thought I'd post a few pics of what I installed about a year ago. I used to be on the 'fan' site but left a while back due to politics. Let me know if you have any questions about them.

Here are a few others pics. I don't yet have a place to host pics anymore, so I have to attach them for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
AH... you were the one with the LED's in the bed, How those working out for ya?

ALSO... what the hell kind of setup do you have going on? Looks great and I WANT IT

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I've got a cover over the bed, so I had to have some lights. They're LEDs in Radio Shack crome holders. There's a waterproof switch that you can see in the top center of the last pic.

The box is the Sound Off Audio Colorado box with 2 Polk 8's in it. It's ok, but I'd go with tech12volt's box with 2 Kicker 8" L5's if I were doing it now. The amps in the back are an old school SoundStream MC300 and a Directed D800. Other than that, it's a 1 Farad capacitor, fuse and distribution blocks for power and ground, fans, and the battery connections/fuse blocks and LEDs installed under the hood.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Clean install!! Did you also upgrade the "Big 3"

What was your reasoning for using a cap, did you really need it??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Clean install!! Did you also upgrade the "Big 3"

What was your reasoning for using a cap, did you really need it??
Thanks and yes, all with 4 guage wire. I'm a believer in caps, so I'd say yes. But the headlights still dim when it hits hard.

did you run the wires along the sill plates?
No, I took out all the seats and went further in.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks and yes, all with 4 guage wire. I'm a believer in caps, so I'd say yes. But the headlights still dim when it hits hard.
Do you feel that you could've gotten any better power transfer with 2 or 1/0 guage??? The only reason I'm asking this is I'm getting ready to do my system up and the first thing I'll be doing is to upgrade the "Big 3" and switch to a dry cell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you feel that you could've gotten any better power transfer with 2 or 1/0 guage??? The only reason I'm asking this is I'm getting ready to do my system up and the first thing I'll be doing is to upgrade the "Big 3" and switch to a dry cell.
No, with the short runs and current carrying capacity of 4 guage (and the current demands of the amps), it would have just been wasted copper. The new battery will help - I'm still on the stock one. But the bottleneck is the alternator - it isn't enough to keep up with 50-100 amps of extra demand that it wasn't designed to do.

Damn, very clean setup!

I like how you ran all of the wires under the rear panel instead of stringing them to the door sills. Giving me ideas :naughty:

The PC fan is cool too :lol:
It was a bitch to do, though. All the stuff is mounted with screws and nuts. I had to remove all the insulation off the back of the panel to get enough depth to run wires. Then I had to hang it up in my shop to run everything. But it was worth the effort.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It was a bitch to do, though. All the stuff is mounted with screws and nuts. I had to remove all the insulation off the back of the panel to get enough depth to run wires. Then I had to hang it up in my shop to run everything. But it was worth the effort.
Come on bro. It only took you a few minutes. Glad to see you here bro. This is really nice being able to share our thoughts and audio wisdom again freely. LOL

·
Registered
893 Posts
No, with the short runs and current carrying capacity of 4 guage (and the current demands of the amps), it would have just been wasted copper. The new battery will help - I'm still on the stock one. But the bottleneck is the alternator - it isn't enough to keep up with 50-100 amps of extra demand that it wasn't designed to do.
See that is the issue I'm trying to address right now. The amp that I'm looking at running will pull 120 amps wide open.

Now with that being said running at normal human (of couse opening it up every now and then) levels should only pull around 60+ or so. I hope with doing the big 3 and the new battery it should get me by untill I would need the oversized alt.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Come on bro. It only took you a few minutes. Glad to see you here bro. This is really nice being able to share our thoughts and audio wisdom again freely. LOL
Don't get me banned from here, too!!!! :ban:

See that is the issue I'm trying to address right now. The amp that I'm looking at running will pull 120 amps wide open.

Now with that being said running at normal human (of couse opening it up every now and then) levels should only pull around 60+ or so. I hope with doing the big 3 and the new battery it should get me by untill I would need the oversized alt.
It'll get you by, but the lights will dim at idle.

·
Registered
36 Posts

What amp are you looking at?

·
Registered
893 Posts
The memphis big belle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't get me banned from here, too!!!! :ban:
I will do my best. I am a sponsor on here. So i doubt that will happen. As long as noone calls me out on some bs . I think we are safe.

The memphis big belle.
I use to be a memphis dealer untill just a few weeks ago. And that amp sucks some power bro. And heres the thing if it ever drops below 12 volts it starts to suck even more current and then you can guess what happens to your speakers when they start to see straight dc current.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I use to be a memphis dealer untill just a few weeks ago. And that amp sucks some power bro. And heres the thing if it ever drops below 12 volts it starts to suck even more current and then you can guess what happens to your speakers when they start to see straight dc current.
Well I really hope this will not happen.

I'm putting together a rather "conservatively" larger system which I hope will 1.) Sound good and 2.) Not mess up my truck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts